C210 camera credentials not accepted in Homeassistant or VLC

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-07 04:38:48
Model: Tapo C210  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.3

I'm having trouble setting up the C210 camera in Homeassistant and VLC. They wont accept my username and password that I've setup in the Tapo app. I've changed them many times, I've reset the camera as well but nothing works. I'm having a hard time believing its my router since all my devices are on the same Lan. No extra Vlans or anything like that. I am using an Asus Zen Ax xt8.router

I'm using this string in VLC -rtsp://(username):(password)@192.168.x.x:554/stream1

Am i missing something? Any help would be appreciated.  The Tapo app is working fine, no issues there

Options
5 Reply
Re: C210 camera credentials not accepted in Homeassistant or VLC
2023-04-07 17:35:22

@Gnoe,

Before we go too deep into this, check the FAQ on the topic, as it looks like you may be using an incorrect string for VLC, at least in comparison to iSpy. 

From the device you are running VLC on, are you able to ping the device on your network? This would at least tell us if the PC is capable of seeing  the camera, let alone connecting to it.

Options
2023-04-08 13:13:23

@Riley_S 

Yes i can ping it, also if i enter an incorrect IP into Homeassistant i wont get the next page asking for the username /password so I'm assuming it can reach it as well. 

Options
2023-04-08 13:55:02

@Gnoe Aslo, I forgot to mention that i have tried the string on the page you referenced. it opens the logon box, I enter my creds and it doesn't accept them

I

Options
2023-04-10 18:29:46

@Gnoe,

I am inclined to believe that it is a setting on your router, or the method you are using that may be causing the problem,.

Make sure that you are using your camera account login, not your Tapo login (you'd be surprised how many users mistake the two)

Next, try rebooting the device, as the change to having a camera account enabled normally requires a reboot for the change to take effect. If this did not happen automatically, the account may not be enabled yet.

Ensure that since you are using RTSP that port 554 is opened for the device, and for ONVIF that port 2020 is opened. If they are not, this may be preventing HA from seeing the device depending on your configuration.

Also, as I have personally had issues - if you are trying to set this up through your Internet Connection/Home Assistant IP, the setup may fail. Try connecting directly to the HA server on your local network for the best chance.

Options
2023-04-13 14:04:23

@RileILy_S 

I have a couple questions regarding your last response. I originally suspected my router but digging into the setting i cant find anywhere that i can adjust the local lan rules. Maybe next step will be to engage Asus for help. But if you could please tell me what the correct method is for adding the camera to HA? Also you mentioned to "Try connecting directly to the HA server on your local network for the best chance". Can you explain what you mean by this please?

As well, I am using the username / pw I created in the app, and not my Tapo website login, and have rebooted the camera many times. And it's not just HA, I also have the same issue with the VLC app

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 937

Replies: 5

Related Articles