EP25 Firmware 1.0.9 breaks Apple HomeKit integration

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-18 00:16:32 - last edited 2023-04-18 18:19:01

I have 4 EP25 smart outlets. 3 of them are on firmware version 1.0.8 and work (barely, but they work with some finess). The 4th outlet was having some trouble connecting so I did the trick where you connect it using the Kasa app without going through the Apple HomeKit process. It connected fine and immediately asked to do a firware update to version 1.0.9. Usually firmware updates are an improvement so I let it go. However, after the update completed, I'm stuck unable to add the smart plug to apple homekit and get an error message saying "Accessory is out of compliance" every time. I've done multiple hard resets, I've tried adding it directly from Apple HomeKit app. I've added it through the Kasa app and then tried adding it to Apple HomeKit afterwards. Nothing works, every time I get the same error.

It seems clear firmware version 1.0.9 broke something, because this outlet was working for me before on firmware 1.0.8. It sometimes took a few attempts to get it to add to HomeKit, but it would eventually work. When it failed, the error message was different. The only thing that changed is the firmware.

Options
2 Reply
Re:EP25 Firmware 1.0.9 breaks Apple HomeKit integration
2023-04-19 00:19:52

@Retik,

It looks like there may actually be larger changes happening to the Apple Home ecosystem, as many updates have been given by apple over the past month.

First, Make sure that your phone has been updated to the most recent OS version. Our team even reported that an update was given to their phone's OS today.

The 1.0.9 firmware update indicates in the patch notes that changes were made to the setup process when using Apple Home, so I will try to find out some more information about what may be throwing your error, or what the difference is from previous versions.

If your OS is already up-to-date, I would first make sure that you restart your phone to clear any cached settings that could be interfering.

I would also make sure that your Apple Home app does not have any "Ghost Devices" listed, such as having the EP25s listed, but as unavailable. 

While unlikely it will help, I would try connecting the device to another wireless network to see if a change in networks will allow the setup to continue.

It is worth mentioning that Apple Home prefers to use IPv6 - so you may check your network settings to ensure that IPv6 compatibility is enabled.

Options
Re:EP25 Firmware 1.0.9 breaks Apple HomeKit integration
2023-04-21 03:30:22 - last edited 2023-04-21 03:30:41

@Riley_S  My phone, apple tv, and device are all up to date on the latest software/firmware. I have done multiple hard resets, with nothing working. I've been asked by support to send the unit in for RMA as they think it is defective. While that may be true, it seems too coincidental that this happened immediately after updating to version 1.0.9. It's also surprising that there's no way to downgrade the firmware to a previous version.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 412

Replies: 2

Related Articles