Kasa is now useless to me -- how can I get back to an older version of the app

2023-06-28 21:05:26 - last edited 2023-06-29 01:13:07
Model: HS105  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I bought one of these smart plugs a few years ago to be able to power cycle my cable modem after a power outage where the modem didn't come back properly.

It worked perfectly for years...until today when I needed to use it again and discovered that the Kasa app now wants me to create an account on some server, etc.

Well, guess what --- the internet is down so I can't - and the ability to power cycle my modem from another location ON THE SAME LAN no longer works.

Why was this change made? It makes the device completely useless for my particular need.

Does anybody know where I can buy a similar smart plug that doesn't need an external server connection to control it?

Options
11 Reply
Re:Kasa is now useless to me -- how can I get back to an older version of the app
2023-06-29 09:06:26

@dhjdhj 

To better serve you and protect your data security,  Kasa App will no longer support a guest account login. Registering a TP-Link ID is now required to manage your Kasa devices. With an TP-Link ID, only an authorized user with account information can access your local devices via the app.

The basic features (e.g. turn ON/OFF, schedule) of the Kasa devices still support local control.

If you want to use the advanced feature, such as Smart Action, Kasa devices require to connect to a WiFi network with internet access. 

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
Re:Kasa is now useless to me -- how can I get back to an older version of the app
2023-06-29 11:34:45

@Wayne-TP Uhm, I never had to log in to anything before -- I could just run the program on my iPhone or iPad, inside my LAN and power cycle my modem.

How exactly does requiring an internet connection and account provide more security than not having to connect to the internet at all? What data security does tp-link think they're protecting when there was no internet connection required in the first place?

In particular, since my internet was down, I couldn't even create an account in the first place and the program wouldn't give me access to those "basic features"?

Options
2023-06-29 15:19:52

@Wayne-TP Registering a TP-Link ID is now required to manage your Kasa devices

Does anybody at your place understand (or care) that if the external internet goes down, one can no longer use your devices even INSIDE the home where there's a perfectly good working LAN?

Options
2023-08-06 22:12:49

@dhjdhj 

I cannot even find this tp-link id

where is this app. 
or should I just throw out these cameras and buy another brand !!!!

Options
2023-08-08 09:42:04

@dhjdhj 

The device retains its capability for local management. When the app is logged in with the same account linked to the device, you can manage the device using the app within the same local network. Prior to the optimization, the absence of device-account linkage allowed any mobile device connected to the same network and equipped with the app to manage the device. The current enhancement prevents unauthorized actions, such as altering device settings or deleting the device, by other users within the same network who have not been authorized (not logged into an account).

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2023-08-08 09:45:18

@Dek139 

You could register a TP-Link account with your email in the APP. What is TP-Link ID and how to create a TP-Link ID?

Options
2023-08-08 11:38:17

@Wayne-TP ----When the app is logged in with the same account linked to the device---

Sigh,   what part of,  if the internet is unreachable, you can't log in  do you guys still not understand?

Options
2023-08-11 07:28:20

@dhjdhj 

The login status of the account can be maintained and will not be signed out when there is no Internet connection.

Options
2023-08-11 10:35:05

@Wayne-TP The login status of the account can be maintained and will not be signed out when there is no Internet connection

Except that it wasn't --- if it had been maintained, it would have worked when I needed it, and I wouldn't have needed to post this problem in the first place.

Options
2023-08-11 12:03:48

@Wayne-TP 

Yes You say, it is a privacy upgrade, but looks like NO one and access it now. not even the account owner!!!!!!

Real NIce Job!!!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 575

Replies: 11

Related Articles