EP10's Keep Failing. Is There A Plug That's Reliable?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-19 16:21:19
Model: EP10  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.5

Kasa:

I suppose I've something like 40 Kasa smart switches and 10 smart plugs.  Not that any of the switches are all that reliable, but the plugs, all EP10's, are proving to be a very poor design.  None are switching more than a few amps of simple load.  Of the failure (3) two have had had two computer monitors, the others a few LED lamps.  A fourth is is at best unreliable.  In each the switching relay internally fails.  Clearly a design defect.  And no, the Kasa warranty and hours of wasted time, as well as the insane hoop jumping and user fee's, has no value.  None.  A process so annoying most won't file for warranty.  Just as Kasa intended.  Worse,  a 30-40% failure rate is unacceptable.  Simple questions:   

1)  Does Kasa have a plug that is reliable and that is for sure not using the same design the EP10's use?

2)  Kasa switches continue to fail.  I've also had two motion sensing dimmers fail too, also switching failures (meaning, like the plugs, the switchs are alive and report to the cloud they're working, but in fact the load's don't respond).  This is suggestive some or all are using some form of switching relay, TRIAC, or etc. that's pretty darn fragile.   Has this relay been identified such that:

A.  I can expect other Kasa switches to work more reliable.

B.  Perhaps the Topo switches would be more reliable?

Obviosly I'm in a bad place.  As I pass a year or so of owership the products failure rate appears poor .  Yet I'd rather not have to identify yet another smart device platform to manage my devices from.  It seems I must either abandon Kasa or identify a product subset that's using more reliable internal switching, and that means Kasa needs to have identified its design problems and corrected them. What directions does Kasa suggest, and what are answers to above concerns?

Thank you,

Dan

Options
4 Reply
Re:EP10's Keep Failing. Is There A Plug That's Reliable?
2023-07-21 10:06:18

@dafish 

Hello Dan, we are genuinely sorry to hear about the consecutive hardware malfunctions you've experienced with our smart plug. While such occurrences are relatively uncommon, we take them seriously and are committed to resolving the issue.

It's important to clarify that all our products, whether from the Tapo or Kasa line, undergo rigorous testing and certifications before being shipped. However, despite our best efforts, unforeseen circumstances may arise, and we cannot guarantee a 100% absence of product failures. We want to assure you that your satisfaction is of utmost importance to us, and our products come with warranties to provide you with peace of mind. If your device has unfortunately encountered hardware issues, we will gladly assist you through the warranty process.

Smart plugs are versatile devices, capable of connecting to a wide range of household appliances. This versatility means that multiple factors, such as the type of connected devices, usage environment, frequency of use, user behavior, electrical circuit conditions and etc, can contribute to product malfunctions. To pinpoint the exact cause of the issue, we need to analyze each case individually. Every smart device has unique features and functionalities, making it essential to provide tailored solutions for addressing specific product issues.

Your satisfaction is our priority, and we are here to provide personalized support to resolve any concerns you may have. If you need further assistance or have additional questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. We are dedicated to serving you to the best of our abilities.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2023-07-24 00:09:29
Politely, that’s an incredibly useless answer. Are you able to not sound like an india based help desk and actually answer any of the questions? Btw, your warranty process is so obnoxious I’m certain few use it. Probably the intent.
Options
2023-07-24 16:14:49

@dafish 

I've 4 Kasa plugs for over a year no issues yet.  But recently bought 2 more of the mini variety and they just won't connect to Alexa no matter what troubleshooting methods I try.

Like others, I want to expand my smart plug network but the Kasa Mini TP-10 has soured me on their entire line of products. I'm looking for value not cheap and these plugs are sketchy at best at any price.

Options
2023-07-26 02:14:45 - last edited 2023-07-26 03:48:13

@justdave 

Things I can tell you:

Kasa:

1)  Most times failure to configure them seems to come back to user error and or W--Fi issues.  Eg: Many IOT things don't like sharing an SSID w/5g and 2.4ghz networks, etc..

2)  Most switch failures are in the solid state switching relay.   There have been cloud/app problems too, but that's not a pervasive thing.

3)  Warranty is a joke.  You'll spend enormous amounts of time jumping through support hoops, then document proof of ownership, and finally getting to ship the failed unit back at your expense.

4)  The products are quite inexpensive.

5)  As you can see, we're not going to get any insight into what products have more reliable architecture.

6)  TP-Link owns Tapo, so I fear that's jumping from one dumpster fire into another.

7)  From what I can see of the architecture and product spec's the hardware selection is based on "cost is the most important factor".

8)  Limited Matter support, don't expect it to be stable any time soon either.

9)  Pretty wide product selection.

10 Plug failure rate is horrible.

11) Switch failure rate is so far OK, but I'm more than a bit concerned. 

12) TP-Link technical support states the plugs are not to be used on a power strips, and are only capable of 2.5amps unless using a purely resistive load.  Meaning if you use a capacittive on inductive load you're limited to 300 watts.   Things like PC power supplies, most TV's and monitors, stereo's, fans, you name it aren't able to be used in any meaningful way.

13)  TP-Link support forum reports some dimmers only support 150 watts of "equivalent" LED's.  Meaning you can't run three 60 watts LED bulbs and be in spec.   They're probably wrong, but it just adds to the "these are cheap toys" feeling.

Feit products:

1)  Very reliable from a failure perspective, but a vary narrow product set.

2)  Their dimming technology is very bulb finicky and prone to flicker

3)  Support attempts to be responsive but is undermanned.

4)  I've never seen a software or firmware update.

5)  Wifi range is the lowest of the products I've used, especially for the plugs.

6)  Relatively inexpensive.  I've bought quite few from Costco.

7)  You can use their dimmer switch in a 4 or even 5 way situation.

8)  No Matter support, don't expect it.

9)  Not easy to wire, sort of poorly designed relative to it's peers.

Leviton

1)  Relatively expensive, think 3x Kasa cost, but stable in all regards.  0% failures to date!

2)  Super stable on dimming, wifi connection, and installation.

3)  Very wide product selection, including battery "remote" switches that can go anywhere and control other Levitons.   

4)  Matter support is rolling out, to what degree it can be retrofitted I've no idea.

5)  Fantastic technical support.  Really really good.

6)  No observed range issues.

7)  Haven't used their plugs (yet)

Emporia:

1)  In the switching realm they only have energy monitoring plugs

2)  They appear to be stable (too soon to know)

3)  Support is pretty good.

4)  Based on use of the Vue products, I expect firmware support to be limited.

5)  Matter support = No

6)  In the "relatively inexpensive" ballpark.

7)  Power rating:  10 amp continuous, any type.  1 hour max per day at 15amps.

So here's where it stands for me:

* As Kasa product fail they will not be replaced.  The disrespectful warranty process ends their viability as a mfg. to me, their product reliability is unaccepable, and ratings shenanigans are really shameful.

* Topo will be part of the same culture, so nope.

* Feit:  For 4 way plus dimmers they are the solid choice (and you only need 1), as is Leviton with their companion remotes.  Just know you'll be replacing batteries annually for the latter, and the former has lots of limitations.  Solid choice for on/off too.   Just poor as a dimmer.

* I'm moving to Emporia for future plugs, but reliability of them is not clear.

* The hassle of pulling and replacing failing wall switches has implied cost.  I will replace with Leviton.

As to Alexa, I'd call their tech support.  It's not great, but sometimes you get lucky.  My experience has been most of the times issues with integration lay at their end.  BTW, Alexa devices can do funny things with more than one in the house.  If you do, I suggest you unhook them all, plug only one in, and rediscover devices with just the one running.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 622

Replies: 4

Related Articles