Must I have a hub like a SmartThings or Hue Hub?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-21 11:10:51

I have been trying to get a clear short answer to this. I find contradictions and vagueness.

For Kasa, can it work without having a dedicated Hub? Or, does certain models of Echo or Apple TV have everything I need?

Simple clear answer please!

And be specific if it only applies to a certain model of Echo ro Apple TV

Thanks!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Must I have a hub like a SmartThings or Hue Hub?
2023-07-24 18:40:24

@pitosalas

All Kasa Devices use Wi-Fi for Communication - Even Devices with Matter Support or HomeKit will Use Wi-Fi as a baseline to Communicate. Wi-Fi devices will communicate directly with the Kasa app on your phone, without added hardware.

If you would want to create a Smart Home with the Apple Home Ecosystem, you would need to look at the hubs and controllers from them - while also making sure you are buying homekit-compatible devices. Smartthings allows for the linking of TP-Link Accounts, so a hub is not required to make use of their platform.

Right Now, the only Hub-Required Devices offered by TP-Link are not under the Kasa Brand. They are Tapo Devices and Will All be labeled as requiring a Sub-GHz Hub to communicate with the devices.

What kind of Smart Home are you looking to create? I would be more than willing to help guide you down the right path.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 354

Replies: 1

Related Articles