Kasa Motion Switch and Dimmer Focused Feedback Opportunity
2023-08-11 20:44:58 - last edited 2023-08-11 20:47:06
Tags: #Official #Highlighted Thread #Feedback Opportunity
Model: ES20M  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

1773abd56cef4e11ac9883d4cb2cb3ef

Kasa Motion Switch and Dimmer Focused Feedback Opportunity

Our team has seen your feature requests across the forum regarding the functionality of out Motion Switch and Dimmers (KS200M, ES20M), and we would like to gather more information for our R&D Teams.

Your feedback will allow our teams to understand better how these devices are used, and what could be improved in the future to suit your needs better.

This opportunity will focus on the Scheduling Functions for the Motion Activation Feature, Smart Rules, and what you would like to see added to the Automation Triggers/Actions for the devices.

Provide Your Feedback Here:

Kasa Motion Switch and Dimmer Feedback Opportunity

Already Provided Your Feedback on the Forums?

We would appreciate your participation in a better overall picture, as some of your more complicated requests will be passed along with the survey feedback.

Have a Request that Doesn’t Quite Fit the Survey?

Feel Free to leave a comment below for any requests that may not be related to the questions in the survey or if you think of another device that we should gather similar feedback for.

As a Note: We have provided a section at the end of the survey to provide feedback about other aspects/functionalities of the device. Please keep your feedback appropriate to the question at hand so that we may better track other requests.

Options
12 Reply
Re:Kasa Motion Switch and Dimmer Focused Feedback Opportunity
2023-08-25 16:20:33

@Riley_S 

I am not really happy with this switch.

It does not work as i expected with motion and timer part. Try restting multple times and overall not happy with it.

Btw: i do have many other products (HS200, HS220) and i am very happy with those.

Options
2023-08-25 16:38:36

@Riley_S Please bring back the functionality for the switch to remain on if turned on manually. When I first installed the KS200M switch in late 2022, I found that if I manually turned on the switch, it would remain on until I turned it off manually. This was a great feature, but a later firmware update removed this feature. Now, I often find myself in the dark in my garage because I am too far from the switch for it to sense my motion and it turns the light off which creates a very unsafe situation.

So, PLEASE BRING BACK THE FUNCTIONALITY WHERE WHEN THE SWITCH IS ACTIVATED MANUALLY, IT REMAINS ON UNTIL MANUALLY SWITCHED OFF.

Options
2023-08-25 18:07:06

@Osugrad @VBR;

Make sure that you fill out the survey; this is actually the exact feedback that we have seen that we wish to send to our teams. We would like to see a few examples and descriptions of what users would like to see so that we can work to optimize the device and smart actions as best as possible. 

I do believe that the behavior that you had seen at install was actually an unintended behavior, as other users reported something similar if they would rapidly hit the dimming paddles - almost as if crashing the smart rule's logic. This is what first caught my attention as it seems that several users had found and like this functionality.

@VBR Can you provide more information about what happens with your timers? It may simply be a setting or time zone setting that prevents the action from running.

Options
2023-09-15 17:15:07

It would be very, very nice if the Kasa app was made for a PC. 

Options
2023-09-15 17:19:44

Unrelated to the survey question. Does tp-link / Kasa happen to have one switch to control ceiling fan & light in the works or must I purchase a competitors switch? I would like to keep my house totally tp-link/Kasa products. I have read numerous other requests for such a switch. @Riley_S

Options
2023-09-15 17:32:10

@Osugrad I have a non tp-link/Kasa, non wi-fi motion activated wall switch in my front hallway. It turns on when motion is detected, and shuts off automatically after the time I set up on it (manually) when first installed. I was thinking of replacing it with a tp-link/Kasa switch to keep all my switches the same brand. Personally, I find it a plus to turn off after a certain length of time so it doesn't stay on forever. Every switch and/or outdoor security light that incorporates motion detection, has a setting to turn the light off after awhile. Why would the Kasa switch be any different? 

Options
2023-09-15 18:09:43

Hey  @Onebadcookie,

For a Fan and Dimmer Switch, you will need to wait slightly longer for the KS240, which we first announced at CES this year. I believe that the device is still in the pipeline and we will have more information on it soon.

As for the Motion Switches, these are functions that we currently have for our switches in the Kasa app. Moreover, we have seen a few requests for specific functionalities such as the ability to change the switch's behavior when manually interacted with as compared to when it turns on from motion. This survey is meant to gather feedback for these more complex requests. For most users, the switch will function as they expect it too - we simply want to ensure that our products will work as expected for as many users as possible, no matter how complicated their home setup.

If you take a look and go through the survey, the possible smart action triggers/actions and behavior rules are listed so you can get an idea of the capabilities of the device.

Options
2023-09-15 22:22:22

@Onebadcookie “Why would the Kasa switch be any different?”  Because it actually WAS different before they pushed out a firmware update earlier this year. 

Picture this, you have this switch installed in a dark garage. You decide to go into the garage to check the oil level in your car. When you entire the garage, the light senses motion and turns on. You pop the hood of your car, check the oil level, and find that you need to add some oil. Just as you are adding the oil, the light goes off because the two-minute delay setting you had programmed it for has run out and the hood of the car is blocking your motion so the switch thinks you left.  You are left standing there in complete darkness in the midst of adding oil to your car. This happened to me.

BUT, now picture this, you have this same switch installed in a dark garage. You again decide to go into the garage to check the oil level in your car. When you entire the garage, the light senses motion and turns on.  This time, you know that you might be out there longer than the two-minute delay you programmed into the switch so you manually turn the light off, then immediately manually turn it back on. The light now stays on until you manually turn it off. Nice, right?  Now you won’t be caught in an awkward position if the light thinks you left and decides to turn off because it won’t turn off until you manually turn it off.  No fumbling with the app to change the delay setting for this one instance, and you aren’t disabling motion sensing in the future. Once you are done and are leaving the room, you manually turn off the switch and it goes back to motion sensing for the next time you enter.

As I said before, this IS how this switch worked when I first installed it in late 2022, but this behavior disappeared when the firmware was updated earlier this year.  All I am asking is that the folks who program these things add this behavior back into the switch.

This behavior was actually one of the reasons I chose this switch over other brands because this particular behavior was discussed in the Q and A section of the product description on Amazon and a prior purchaser had confirmed that this switch behaved this way. And, it did, until the firmware update removed it.

Options
2023-11-11 19:24:07

@Riley_S 

any idea why the scenes don't override the smart control schedule? What is the point of scenes and the other fratures if the smart control is always taking precedence over it.

current problem: shower

i have smart control to turn on with motion and turn off after 5 minutes of no motion. This works well for the regular day

Shower scenario: now when I need to shower i need the light to stay on for 30 minutes. I created a scene to "Stay ON" duration for 30 minutes. So while the light is on from smart control - i run this scene but the scene doesn't work and the light turns off after 5 minutes when no motion is detected.

why doesn't the scene override the smart control feature???

Options
2023-11-16 17:40:19

@Zizzo,

I honestly just do not think that it was designed to work this way, as scenes currently act as more of an endpoint or property than they are a full automation - even though the delay option makes it appear that way.

Essentially, a scene will only change the values of the devices to match what you have set. They are more intended to be used in tandem with automations (when X happens > set lights to state/scene)

As for stay-on duration, this will work alongside your local on-device settings for smart control - in fact, I believe that the local schedules on a device will always take precedence over the settings configured in cloud automations.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1020

Replies: 12

Tags

Official Highlighted Thread
Feedback Opportunity
Related Articles