Laser Light in Camera

Laser Light in Camera

Laser Light in Camera
Laser Light in Camera
2023-10-20 19:09:19
Model: Tapo C325WB  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Just wondering- neighbor shined a laser light into camera (45 and less degree angle) at 3am for about 10 minutes. Not steady, as he was on a ladder looking over his 6 foot steel wall into my yard. Camera was behind glass in house (works pretty well there,  looking into my dark backyard). Did this cause any damage? Will this shorten the life of the camera?

Options
9 Reply
Re:Laser Light in Camera
2023-10-23 20:16:15

@pobey66,

I will check with my team to know for certain, however, I would not suspect this to cause damage to the sensor - but I imagine that would be highly dependent on the power of the laser used.

I would, however recommend looking at other options for your camera, such as placing it out of view, or looking at outdoor cameras that you can mount under an eave and out of reach. Lasers on cameras are often common methods of obstructing the view of a camera for a short period, allowing for other activity to go unnoticed. How much of the view did it obstruct?

Options
2023-12-01 07:36:59
If you neighbor is climbing up onto a ladder at night to look into your backyard and moreso the windows of your home. Not to mention shining a laser at it after noticing them. I completely understand why you need cameras. Unless it was a high powered laser I doubt your camera was damaged. I would recommend turning off the "status LED" option in the app so the camera is less noticeable to your neighbor. You can also play aground with the mode settings to ensure the spotlight isn't turning on too often.
Options
2023-12-01 14:40:31

@Riley_S 

The laser light blinded the camera totally when he was able to aim correctly.(he's approximately 55 feet away on ladder). I took it away from window, put a dummy camera there, had the tapo watching it, and he did the same thing the next night...about 10 minutes again. The tapo showed a violet blue colored laser light. Later he realized it was a dummy, and started looking all over the backyard for the tapo with the laser (which the tapo recorded...I had it hidden and safe from light).  I am just worried about the sensor degrading from the first attack.

Options
2023-12-01 14:49:01

@Otrip 

Yes, I had everything turned off. It looked like the camera was off. He aimed at it anyways. He was able to totally blind the camera at approximately 55 feet away. After moving the tapo and hiding it,  the camera recorded a violet blue colored laser light hitting the window at a dummy camera. I once looked over the wall (he was dowsing another camera with water for minutes at 2 am) and saw a perfectly round, small violet blue light in the complete darkness of his backyard...I had never seen such a light before. I guess it was aimed at me.

Options
2023-12-01 19:20:46

@pobey66 

Can't post external links here but you can Google: "lasers Impact on Surveilance Cameras Tested".

Options
2023-12-01 19:30:33

@Otrip @pobey66 

I assume that you meant this article: Lasers Impact on Surveillance Cameras Tested

We are working on the URLs and I believe that we are looking to allow external URLs for users of a specific level.

Options
2023-12-01 19:37:08
That's the one. :) Understand why external likes are blocked... Primarily spam and well....
Options
2023-12-28 01:59:49

Have you considered filing for a restraining order? Are the cameras pointed ar his property? You might want to check the laws in your state. However, if you are successful, there is often a clause permitting you to put him under surveillance, and preventing him from putting you under surveillance. . In my experience if you don't nip this kind of behavior in the bud it can be expected to escalate.He's trying to damage your personal property.

Options
2023-12-28 22:04:28

@Mysterylectric 

The camera's not pointing at his property. It clearly points down into my small backyard. His girlfriend's house has an incredibly large backyard that borders 8 small backyards. I don't know why the block was drawn that way in the 1950s. Here goes- He (and she) has bothered every one. Vandalizing front and back gardens (because they don't approve), peeping, has had a lawyer threaten him (provoking dogs to bark then complaining about dogs barking), a next door neighbor pushing the gf to the ground because they were/are driving him crazy from their spying, another neighbor saying- I might mistake you for a burglar and shoot you so don't look over my wall, a mother said he kept watching her little girls in the pool...she moved. The police don't care. There are numerous complaints filed. (Los Angeles). They think they own the block and if they don't like something, they will try to destroy it. A neighbor put sheds in her backyard and they called in a surveyor...because they didn't like how it looked from their yard. They have a lot of money, don't work and I guess they obsess over everything else except their own mental issues of megalomania. That is the tip of the pile of poo.

I'm just trying to protect my little abode...there have been break ins.

In the end...I suppose it will be a shock when  they realize they can't take their backyard with them in their Big Final Move.

Thank you for your concern and suggestions!!!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 322

Replies: 9

Related Articles