Tapo C425 Can't program....stuck on pairing after it successfully programs wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-02 16:01:37 - last edited 2023-11-03 20:21:58
Model: Tapo C425  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: ?

Last night, I dedicated several hours to configuring my new c425/tc85 device. I was able to successfully reset the unit and establish a connection to the c425 via Wi-Fi. It accepted my home Wi-Fi credentials without any issues. However, I encountered a problem when it became stuck in the "pairing" stage.

I've come across forum posts where people faced a similar issue with different models, and their only solution was to try a different phone. So, I switched from a Samsung A54 to a Xiaomi Note 8 Pro, but this change didn't resolve the problem. I even swapped out my TP-link 6 router for a DDWRT router, but the issue persisted.

Similar issue

(https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/277094)

It seems that there may be an issue with the setup process, or perhaps there's a problem with the login protocols to the router. Another possibility is that TP-Link's cloud servers were experiencing issues at the time, preventing the proper registration of information.

I'm curious if anyone else has encountered this problem and has any alternative solutions, or if it's best to request a replacement (RMA) for this unit?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tapo C425 Can't program....stuck on pairing after it successfully programs wifi-Solution
2023-11-03 06:44:48 - last edited 2023-11-03 20:21:58

@Singlebyte 

Ended up getting it to work, but not sure exactly what did it for me.  Here are some of the things I did.

1. Turned off 5ghz Wi-Fi band (Both 2.4 & 5ghz were using the same SSID)

2. Programmed camera onto on my DD-WRT router (Switched from my WIFI 6 router.  Wi-Fi 6 routers have lots of additional settings like OFDMA & Smart Connect)

3. Made sure wpa2 AES was my security profile

4. Changed my Wi-Fi login password from an all-numerical string to alpha characters.

So (likely) one of the above seemed to resolve the issue.  Sorry, I couldn't nail it down more specifically as I was trying lots of different settings.

Also, If you are looking for the difference between TC85 models and C425, it appears the only difference is where they are sold.  I set mine up with the C425 profile.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Tapo C425 Can't program....stuck on pairing after it successfully programs wifi-Solution
2023-11-03 06:44:48 - last edited 2023-11-03 20:21:58

@Singlebyte 

Ended up getting it to work, but not sure exactly what did it for me.  Here are some of the things I did.

1. Turned off 5ghz Wi-Fi band (Both 2.4 & 5ghz were using the same SSID)

2. Programmed camera onto on my DD-WRT router (Switched from my WIFI 6 router.  Wi-Fi 6 routers have lots of additional settings like OFDMA & Smart Connect)

3. Made sure wpa2 AES was my security profile

4. Changed my Wi-Fi login password from an all-numerical string to alpha characters.

So (likely) one of the above seemed to resolve the issue.  Sorry, I couldn't nail it down more specifically as I was trying lots of different settings.

Also, If you are looking for the difference between TC85 models and C425, it appears the only difference is where they are sold.  I set mine up with the C425 profile.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Tapo C425 Can't program....stuck on pairing after it successfully programs wifi
2023-11-03 20:31:59

@Singlebyte,

Thanks for working through the problems, we were beginning to try and replicate your case here.

It may have been a setting on your router, but it is normally limited to the Smart Connect, Fast Roaming and Beamforming Settings. It would have been interesting to know if the device was actually connected to your Wi-Fi, by checking the router's client list. Once it appears here, you make changes to these advanced settings.

When you were configuring the camera, how close was it to your router? Is it possible that it was attempting to use the 5GHz network?

As for your security profile, it is recommended to use a form of WPA /WPA2 to maximize compatibility with IoT and older devices. Depending on your router, you may be able to create a separate Wi-Fi network for IoT devices that uses a lesser or different method than your main network.

I do not believe the login password should have mattered, as long as it was less than 16 characters and didn't use symbols or special characters.

And Yes, TC85 and C425 are Identical except for where they are sold.

Thanks again for working through it, let us know if you have any more clues as to what may have been preventing the final step from finishing.

Options
Re:Tapo C425 Can't program....stuck on pairing after it successfully programs wifi
2023-11-03 20:44:37

Riley_S wrote

@Singlebyte,

Thanks for working through the problems, we were beginning to try and replicate your case here.

It may have been a setting on your router, but it is normally limited to the Smart Connect, Fast Roaming and Beamforming Settings. It would have been interesting to know if the device was actually connected to your Wi-Fi, by checking the router's client list. Once it appears here, you make changes to these advanced settings.

When you were configuring the camera, how close was it to your router? Is it possible that it was attempting to use the 5GHz network?

As for your security profile, it is recommended to use a form of WPA /WPA2 to maximize compatibility with IoT and older devices. Depending on your router, you may be able to create a separate Wi-Fi network for IoT devices that uses a lesser or different method than your main network.

I do not believe the login password should have mattered, as long as it was less than 16 characters and didn't use symbols or special characters.

And Yes, TC85 and C425 are Identical except for where they are sold.

Thanks again for working through it, let us know if you have any more clues as to what may have been preventing the final step from finishing.

@Riley_S 

--More Info--

Yes, the Tapo camera did initially connect because it "verbalized" that it was connected and the front lights had changed.  But afterward, it was just stuck on the "Pairing" mode.   I was about 15-20 feet from my router.  The first router I had was a TP-link AX3000 (wifi6).  I then switched to my Netgear R6000 (AC) with DD-WRT firmware.  (I am currently on my DD-WRT router using the Tapo camera).     

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 411

Replies: 3

Related Articles