TC85 Wire-free MagCam: Trouble connecting to Synology NAS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-13 19:36:03
Model: Tapo TC85  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I just got the three-pack of TC85 cameras.  They look and feel substancial.

I successfully connected them to the Tapo App.  But getting them recognized as ONVIF cameras on the network (so I can add them to my Synology NAS) isn't working.

Of course, I went to Settings/Advanced/CameraAccount and created a userid/password, and acknowledged the warning.

But when I try and have Synology Survellience scan for ONVIF cameras, while it does find my existing ONVIF cameras, it does not find my new TC85s.  I thought maybe having an SD card in might help, but no.  I removed the SC card, but still no.  The Change Account note says

Tapo Care works best with ...  At this point the NVR recording will be disabled.

So maybe I somehow need to get it enabled.  But there is no SD card installed for me to remove to have the camera enable it.

I also tried using the Android app IP Cam Viewer Basic, which also finds my existing ONVIF cameras but not the new TC85s.

Suggestions?  I'm pretty sure this is a user error ...

--Mark

Options
2 Reply
Re:TC85 Wire-free MagCam: Trouble connecting to Synology NAS
2023-11-16 10:09:28

@McCuistion check the TC85's datasheet and found it doesn't support RTSP/ONVIF protocol: https://static.tp-link.com/upload/product-overview/2023/202309/20230906/Tapo%20C425&TC85%201.0&1.6_Datasheet.pdf

Options
Re:TC85 Wire-free MagCam: Trouble connecting to Synology NAS
2023-11-16 15:47:03

You are correct that the spec sheet does not mention any RTSP nor Onvif support.

But this TAPO FAQ page "How to view Tapo camera on a PC through RTSP stream" does list the TC85.

https://www.tapo.com/us/faq/34/

That page also talks about Onvif.  And my TC85 allows you to create a UserID/PW for connecting.  So I still think it's possible, but I'm just not doing it right.

--Mark

Options