Range extender worked..until it didn't

2023-11-15 00:57:06 - last edited 2023-11-15 00:58:43
Model: RE315  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Ok, to preface this I live in an apartment complex with an access point in my living room. I was struggling to get a decent connection in my bedroom (farthest from the living room). We bought (2) AC1200 Range extenders. we set them up in the most direct line of sight path to my bedroom. all is well. today, I set my PC up (no wifi card, only ethernet) in my bedroom. I plugged the ethernet from the range extender located in my bedroom into my PC. Voila, it worked. I was able to get ~80Mbps down, with 5ms latency. Super good. I was able to play a single online match to test the strength, then started on some homework. After probably 30 minutes (since initially plugging into the extender) my internet connection has disappeared. My PC cannot connect to the Internet. "The default gateway is not available" is the error I get when running Windows network diagnostics. The internet connection is fine, my laptop is still connected wirelessely. 

I used 'IPCONFIG' in the command prompt to find the gateway and try to ping it, to no avail. What steps should I take next? I don't want to run an ethernet cable through the apartment.

thank you

Options
3 Reply
Re:Range extender worked..until it didn't
2023-11-15 01:54:07

Hey  @kauvik,

Did you happen to have any settings, such as a reservation configured for your PC's IP address, whether on the router or in your PC's network settings?

Were you able to configure these REs in OneMesh Mode with your router? Is your PC still connected to the network and only lost its connection to the internet? (Check the RE WebUI or Tether App to see if it is an active client)

It sounds as though your PC connected to the RE, received a valid IP address and worked fine - then when the IP address was refreshed, it was invalid for some reason or conflicted with another address, causing the problem. I recommend resetting your network adapter on your PC and ensuring that you had no QoS settings previously configured for the PC on the network.

Options
2023-11-15 04:19:38

@Riley_S OK it seems that way, my computer 'notices' "network 5" but lacks the connection to internet. I am not savvy enough to know about Reservations and such. I will try to reset the network adapter!

Thanks!

Options
2023-11-15 20:46:11

@Riley_S Hey! I reset my network adapter several times and restarted several times. no avail. My computer 'see' the network but doesnt have a connection. From the tether app, I can see my pc as a wired client.

What steps do I take next? is there a thread on this somewhere? i wish i was more knowledgeable about this topic.

sorry for the inconvience

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 140

Replies: 3

Related Articles