Outdoor plug not responsive via Alexa but works with the Kasa app

2023-11-16 02:42:06 - last edited 2023-11-17 00:55:20

Suddenly a couple of days ago, my kasa dual outdoor plug has become unresponsive. Each time I try to use Alexa to turn on or off devices that are attached to the plug, Alexa says that it's unresponsive. The plug has the wifi light on, I can turn each plug on/off manually or with the kasa app, but not in Alexa. I reset the plug in kasa and deleted them from Alexa and re-set them up, but the result is the same. I even deleted the kasa app from my phone, re-installed it and logged back in, but that didn't work either. What else can I try?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Outdoor plug not responsive via Alexa but works with the Kasa app-Solution
2023-11-16 23:29:15 - last edited 2023-11-17 00:55:20
ok, well I guess never mind. Suddenly after 3 days of not working, everything just started working again. I have no idea why they stopped and no idea why everything just started working again. Thank you for trying to help me. Hopefully all is good now.
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Outdoor plug not responsive via Alexa but works with the Kasa app
2023-11-16 17:30:45

Hey  @JeffBNimble,

Since this behavior only started recently, it may be the result of a recent server outage that we had, and your devices may simply need to rebuild their connections or authenticate with different services. 

Is the device uncontrollable from both the App and via the Alexa Voice Assistant? 

I would recommend trying two things I have seen work in the past:

1 - Unlink and Reconnect your Kasa Account to Alexa

2 - If the behavior is limited to a specific device, there may be an error in how the device is being 'translated' by Alexa - whether it be a device type switching or a conflict in their backend. Try setting the device up in the Kasa app with a completely different name. I would also avoid using device names that include things like "light or fan" to make sure that that Alexa is not trying to change the type of device

Options
2023-11-16 17:35:22

@Riley_S ,

Thank you for the reply. I have several Kasa plugs and even multiple Kasa outdoor plugs. All of them are working via Alexa except this one dual plug. It does currently work within the Kasa app. I can independently turn on/off each plug. But, I cannot within the Alexa app.

Options
Re:Outdoor plug not responsive via Alexa but works with the Kasa app-Solution
2023-11-16 23:29:15 - last edited 2023-11-17 00:55:20
ok, well I guess never mind. Suddenly after 3 days of not working, everything just started working again. I have no idea why they stopped and no idea why everything just started working again. Thank you for trying to help me. Hopefully all is good now.
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-12-01 08:05:31 - last edited 2023-12-01 08:06:44

I've experienced the same. Almost positive it's on the Amazon end of things as the plugs remain controllable through the Kasa & Tp-plink apps. and it usually only effects some plugs but not others. I've also seen the plugs not 'respond' to voice commands, the device will pop up on the Alexa Show screen so I know Alexa properly hears the command. It's rare this happens and at times the plugs have even been controllable using the Alexa app but non responsive using voice. After switching on/off using the Alexa or Kasa app Alexa voice usually starts working again. It's a weird glitch.

Options