How to change wifi password in Kasa app for TP-Link plugs

2023-12-03 17:48:48 - last edited 2023-12-11 19:52:47

Did TP-Link ever come up with a way to change the wifi password in the Kasa app, instead of having to reset and reconfigure each device? A TP-Link employee was talknig about sending it to their dev team back in 2019 on another thread on here.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:How to change wifi password in Kasa app for TP-Link plugs-Solution
2023-12-10 06:24:19 - last edited 2023-12-11 19:52:47

@Riley_S Thank you this worked. I appreciate you taking the time to get back to me.

For anyone else trying to update the wifi password for your TP-Link / Kasa Smart Plugs:

Open the Kasa app. Hold the power button for 5 seconds (not 10 seconds) on your smart plug. Then click + like you're adding a new device. Connect to the device following the instructions. Then choose "Do Not Reset". Choose the new wifi network and enter password. Done! Mine even updated the firmware on the plug.

This kept the settings and stay configured in my other automation app (Amazon Alexa) so I didn't have to reconfigure it elsewhere. Took me about 10 minutes to do 7 pugs in my studio.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:How to change wifi password in Kasa app for TP-Link plugs
2023-12-05 23:40:20

@AVLfilm,

The process does still involve a physical interaction, but you can reset just the network settings by holding the power button on the device for 5 seconds as compared to 10 seconds. It will keep its settings, such as schedules, names, and automations - but will allow you to add the device to your new Wi-Fi.

The issue is that normally, users will only have their new Wi-Fi available, leaving no way to communicate with the plugs. We are beginning to see the addition of Bluetooth connectivity to some switches, which greatly eases setup - but still doesn't allow for easy changing of networks. I will reach out to our team to see if these added functions potentially could be used for this feature, or could be used to simplify the overall setup process.

Options
Re:How to change wifi password in Kasa app for TP-Link plugs-Solution
2023-12-10 06:24:19 - last edited 2023-12-11 19:52:47

@Riley_S Thank you this worked. I appreciate you taking the time to get back to me.

For anyone else trying to update the wifi password for your TP-Link / Kasa Smart Plugs:

Open the Kasa app. Hold the power button for 5 seconds (not 10 seconds) on your smart plug. Then click + like you're adding a new device. Connect to the device following the instructions. Then choose "Do Not Reset". Choose the new wifi network and enter password. Done! Mine even updated the firmware on the plug.

This kept the settings and stay configured in my other automation app (Amazon Alexa) so I didn't have to reconfigure it elsewhere. Took me about 10 minutes to do 7 pugs in my studio.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-01-28 21:00:02

@AVLfilm 

Thanks for all the thoughts in this thread. I had to change our WiFi password after setting up a new Xfinity modem/router. Xfinity decided the special symbol (a pretty normal one) I used in my WiFi password is no longer on their list of acceptable symbols.  So, I changed the WiFi password.

I'm dealing with what everybody else here is dealing with.  But I think I'm doing something wrong.  I hold the device reset button for 5 seconds and the lights blink but other than adding a new device to the Kasa app, I don't see how to enter the new password.

Or, is the idea to remove one of my many devices, add it like a new device, and I'll be asked to enter the new password and, after that, all the other TP-Link devices will work?

It sounds like there is a solution other than manually removing and adding each device separately. I'm just having trouble understanding how to do that.

Sincere thanks, everybody (anybody!).

Options
2024-01-28 21:21:42

@cgulls  . . . also, how do reset a lightbulb?  The smart plugs have reset buttons but the bulbs don't. 

Thanks!

Options
2024-01-29 04:37:34

@cgulls Sounds like you're only doing half of what you need to. After you hold the device reset button for 5 seconds and the lights blink, click + like you're adding a new device. Connect to the device following the instructions on your screen. Then choose "Do Not Reset". Choose the new wifi network and enter password. That's it. It might automatically update the firmware on the plug too.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1654

Replies: 5

Related Articles