Smart Switch with Decoupled Mode

2023-12-26 16:06:06

For the Kasa designers,

I just bought a bunch of KL125s and really enjoy the smart functions of these bulbs. One big drawback in the entire smart community is the inability to use a smart switch in tandem with smart bulbs without some "creative" rewiring. Most people including my family are used to using manual toggle switches to turn lights on and off and we still want that ability without cutting power to the bulbs and disconnecting them from the network. I highly recommend setting up your smart switches to include a "decoupled mode" that will allow people to use a smart toggle switch to turn off lights without actually cutting power to the smart bulbs. That way smart home users have the abiltiy to use automations, voice control, and manual switches to turn lights on and off while the bulbs retain power and connectivity to the system.

I love your product and hope this suggestion helps enhance your product offerings!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Smart Switch with Decoupled Mode
2024-01-14 16:16:43

A huge second to this!

Ironically I just found this post as I am attempting the same thing.  I exclusively use Kasa smart lights, as they provide many more functions vs just "on" and "off".  I use Home Assistant to run everything.  The problem I have is mostly when guests come over.  They want a simple switch to turn lights on or off; they don't want to have to grab a phone and use an app.

A smart switch (light what you already offer), but with a decoupled mode would be IDEAL.  It would leave power on to those already smart devices, while still allowing it to control the lights (either directly similar to the already available grouping in your app or through another 3rd party, such as Home Assistant).

Maybe this is as easy as a firmware update?

Options
Re:Smart Switch with Decoupled Mode
2024-02-11 01:42:32

@brothapig Aquara light switches already have this feature.  Better get on it guys you are falling behind.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 390

Replies: 2

Related Articles