Kasa KS240: Smart Ceiling Fan Control and Dimmer Switch

Kasa KS240: Smart Ceiling Fan Control and Dimmer Switch

25 Reply
Re:Kasa KS240: Smart Ceiling Fan Control and Dimmer Switch
2024-05-30 18:11:54

@Riley_S im not asking you to do that. i just want to know if the fan side of this switch is rheostat controlled. please.

Options
2 weeks ago

Will this switch work correctly for a fan-only installation (wire up fan load, and leave light leads disconnected)?

The fan I would like to automate currently has it's lights controlled by a Kasa 3-way dimmer switch and I'd rather keep that as-is.

Options
2 weeks ago

@herbam yes it'll work because it needs a neutral. No neutral switches wouldn't do that.

Options
Monday

@Riley_S hi, good morning! so over the weekend i became impatient and dove head first into usnig this switch for the fan i asked about which was only ever intended to be controlled by the remote that it came with. the model is called a Merwry, https://www . homedepot . com/p/Home-Decorators-Collection-Merwry-52-in-Integrated-LED-Indoor-White-Ceiling-Fan-with-Light-Kit-and-Remote-Control-SW1422WH/301231211#overlay  and its from a Home Depot house brand called Home Decorations or something similar. And i am happy to report that i have excellent report for everyone who may be facing a similar challenge: everything works, and some things are even better than the stock functionality.

the fan seems to have more than the three (low / medium / high) settings that were accessible through the supplied remote. there appear to be at least four distinct speeds which can be set using this switch! and there does not appear to be any conflict of issues with the fan as it applies to being controlled by this switch. everything has so far been smooth and worked well.

the light was never dimmable using the provided remote. it was either on or off. but i knew that it was capable of dimming because i have another fan with the "same" led light panel board, and it does have dimming function thru its app, and i swapped the boards just to see if the one without the dimming function can in fact be dimmed, and of course it worked just fine. and so, now i have dimming capability on the guestroom fan, which i did not previously have access to.

as neither of the fans i am discussing here have a switch leg in the ceiling box, one 14/2 needed to be added. it was simple enough, and i also ran the replacement, 14/3 (+ ground so 4 total conductors) simultaneously. this is a bit unconventional, since the switch leg wouldnt normally be run into and out of and then back into the ceiling box for the fan, but this is how it is currently and i didnt want to tear out any drywall besides the hole for the new switch box. all of the neutrals are shared, and there are several, unfortunately. and all of the grounds are shared. otherwise, its mostly one for one with the other wires. in my opinion, vfery simple to do so long as you have simple basic knowledge of how to run electrical.

to be clear, the remote(s) are now completely removed from the sytems, and the fan(s) are both exclusively operated by the ks240 switch(es)! good riddance to the old rf / bluetooth remotes!

Options
Monday

@herbam keep in mind that the load lead for the light will still be capable of being hot out of the switch if someone inadvertently activates it, so be sure to cap it with a small wire nut and secure it with electrical tape.

Options
Related Articles