Hub for home intrusion events

2024-06-01 17:56:11

I am interested in adding one or more of the following items to my home environment for home intrusion detection:

* Contact sensor (for front door, windows, or both)

* Motion detection sensor in one or more rooms of the home

I am currently experimenting with the C210 and am mostly satisfied with it.  My only concern thus far is that I've been trying to set up an automation so that when the camera's motion detectors go off, the camera comes out of privacy mode.  I have not been able to do so reliably, but even if I were, this is the kind of thing where I would prefer to have at least double redundancy, more likely triple (i.e., if the front door opens OR if the living room motion sensor goes off, THEN wake all cameras).

So, questions.  Are the Tapo door sensor and/or the motion detector able to bring the cameras out of privacy mode?  If so, will a Tapo hub also be required to get all the pertinent devices to talk to each other?  And if so, too, which model will I need?

The past several months have been quite an adventure (and not an inexpensive one, either).  I had no idea the smart home market was so heavily fragmented.  I would have thought that putting together a suite of devices to do what I wanted would be a reasonably straightforward matter.  Nope!  But I'm hopeful that a Tapo ecosystem will finally give me what I'm looking for.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Hub for home intrusion events
2024-06-03 16:06:38

Hey @Paroiste,

If I am not mistaken the motion detection feature will not trigger if the privacy mode of the camera is enabled.

The Tapo sensors can be used with the Smart Action platform to toggle the privacy mode of your cameras. For the motion and contact sensors, you are given automation options for "When Activity is Detected" and When Activity is Detected for X Minutes.

The Tapo SUb-G Sensors do not use Wi-Fi to communicate with your other devices and network, instead opting for a sub 1-GHz freqency. This requires an additional hub with the antennae. You will likely be looking towards the H100 Sub-Ghz Hub for your needs.

Options
Re:Hub for home intrusion events
2024-06-04 02:08:16

@Riley_S -- Yes, I realized after I made that post that the privacy mode would be pretty lousy if it could be deactivated by a motion trigger.

What I'm envisioning is this.  In addition to Home Mode and Away Mode, I am setting up a "Sleep Mode", where the camera in my bedroom would be off and all other cameras would be functional.  If an intruder is detected, I would like the camera in my bedroom to be activated (in addition to various other things, of course!).  I'm wondering whether I can get away with setting this up without using a Tapo hub and/or sensor -- e.g., if the living room cameras detect movement, can I use that as a trigger for my bedroom camera?  And would that be a reliable enough arrangement on its own, or would using a hub along with a motion sensor, door trigger, or the like be more robust?  I think some experimentation with the cameras I currently have in place is probably in order.  Thanks for your feedback!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 180

Replies: 2

Related Articles