c120 camera - Can it signal motion detection via ONVIF

2024-06-18 23:10:22 - last edited 2024-06-28 17:37:36
Model: Tapo C110  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.15

I would like to handle mition detection on the camera using the ONVIF compliant capabilities of the c120.  Can the c120 handle motion detection signalling to a 3rd party device such as Agent DVR, a software based DVR?

I am on version 1.1.15 of the firmware.  This is the latest version as of this posting.

My reasons for wanting to detect motion on the camera stem from the fact that motion detection within Agent DVR is very CPU intensive.  If I can offload this work to the camera, then my Agent DVR server will run on less resources.  This will help with the project budget.

BTW... I had to post this as a c110 moel since the form did not list the model c12o in the drop down list.  It is a newer model and needs to be added to the list.

Thanks.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:c120 camera - Can it signal motion detection via ONVIF-Solution
2024-06-28 16:50:56 - last edited 2024-06-28 17:37:36

@Ray_H 

Hi, I was able to get this working with the C120 after some fiddling.  Instead of selecting a camera model from the list, try adding as an ONVIF source.  For the Service URL, use http://ipaddress:2020/onvif/device_service

Here is a screenshot of what worked for me.  Then, in your "Detector" settings select "ONVIF".  That will read the ONVIF movement detection from the camera instead of being processed by Agent DVR.  In the Server Settings for "ONVIF", I was able to turn on "Event Logging" and see the ONVIF messages coming from the camera.

30bbeaaa2de0489cad4c3ac05ea9a937

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:c120 camera - Can it signal motion detection via ONVIF-Solution
2024-06-28 16:50:56 - last edited 2024-06-28 17:37:36

@Ray_H 

Hi, I was able to get this working with the C120 after some fiddling.  Instead of selecting a camera model from the list, try adding as an ONVIF source.  For the Service URL, use http://ipaddress:2020/onvif/device_service

Here is a screenshot of what worked for me.  Then, in your "Detector" settings select "ONVIF".  That will read the ONVIF movement detection from the camera instead of being processed by Agent DVR.  In the Server Settings for "ONVIF", I was able to turn on "Event Logging" and see the ONVIF messages coming from the camera.

30bbeaaa2de0489cad4c3ac05ea9a937

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:c120 camera - Can it signal motion detection via ONVIF
2024-06-28 17:37:27 - last edited 2024-06-28 17:43:39

@cctapo 

Thanks for the reply to my question.  Since this posting, I was able to get it to work as well doing exactly what you recommended.  It sounds like we are on the same track.

Through my testing I have discovered that I need to do a few things to get the alerts to be more reliable:

1) Define only a 'Detection Zone' that is 'Set for All' types of detection.  Multiple Detection Zones for each type of detector seems to be confusing it somewhat.  Perhaps it is something that I am doing.  More testing is needed to say this definitively.

2) Not use the 'Line-Crossing' detection.  The Line-Crossing detector works on the c120.  But for some reason, the alert never gets sent over to the Agent DVR system that I ever could see in the logs.  I could get motion detection, person detection, Pet Detection to trigger alerts very consistently.  But I never received an alert in Agent DVR when the 'Line-Criossing' detector was being used.  

Perhaps the next firmware upgrade to the c120 will address these two areas.

I am curious... If you have some time to try it... Do you get any alerts in Agent DVR when using strickly the Line-Crossing detector on the c120?

Thanks for your help with this and have a great day,

Ray_H

Options
2024-07-23 20:31:59

@Ray_H 

I'm in a similiar situation as you, using Agent DVR with ONVIF.

You stated, "I could get motion detection, person detection, Pet Detection to trigger alerts very consistently. "

I wanted to double-check with you because, although I do get Motion Detection alerts, I don't get any other kind.  I'm curious if you really are getting explicit Person/Pet detection alerts or if those are just being detected as generic "motion."  Have you tried turning off the Motion Detection setting while keeping on Person & Pet?  

When I turn off Motion Detection but keep on Person/Pet/Vehcile Detection, I receive no alerts at all.  I use the "Set for All" detection zone, and no line crossing. 

Thanks for any insights!

Options
3 weeks ago

@Ray_H 

I get the same behavior with Blue Iris. The only ONVIF event I get is RuleEngine/CellMotionDetector/Motion. I don't get any events for people or vehicles. Since we can get the Motion event they must be deliberately not sending the others. Hopefully, they will provide a firmware update to fix this.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 309

Replies: 4

Related Articles