Amazon Echo and Kasa integration

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-11-21 03:01:51
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Having a problem with my Amazon Echo recognizing TP-Link devices that are no longer hooked up.

In my Kasa app there are only 5 smart devices listed. I had two other devices that I gave away, and replaced with two new devices

The issue is my Alexa up keeps discovering the 2 devices I gave away, along with the 5 active devices, and listing them as "off-line" This is despite the fact they are not recognized in my Kasa app.

All the active devices work fine. The TP-Link devices I have set up on timers work, and I can control everything through the Echo.

It's just annoying to see the 2 extra TP devices appearing in the Alexa app. I "forget" them, but they just keep coming back. I don't even have to tell Alexa to discover devices. They just appear a short time later.

I'm thinking uninstalling the device might solve the problem, but I'm not sure of that, and besides, I don't want to have to set up all my timers and everything all over again.

Any help would be appreciated?

Thanks,
Marc
Options
6 Reply
Re:Amazon Echo and Kasa integration
2016-11-24 03:37:48

MetalMD wrote

Model :
Having a problem with my Amazon Echo recognizing TP-Link devices that are no longer hooked up.
[FONT=arial][/FONT]

Well, honestly this is a total guess..... have you rebooted your router?
How long have the devices been gone? Did you reset them before you gave them away? What does the Echo say if you tell it to "turn on X"?
Have you re-run device discovery?
Perhaps someone else will have a better idea.
Options
2016-11-25 04:59:32
The devices have been gone about a month, and I have not rebooted the router. Not sure what effect that would have? The devices are not listed in the Kasa app.

Neither did I reset them before giving them away. Didn't know I could do that, or even how to do that?

And when I tell Echo to turn them on, it says I can't find such a device (or something very similar).

I have re-run device discovery several times, and the devices always come back. Of course they come back, even when I don't run device discovery, in a very short time afterwards.

Yes, perhaps someone else will have a better idea.

Thanks anyways!
Options
2017-03-05 23:14:15
I have the same issue. I purchased an HS200, set it up, it did not do what I wanted so I reset it and took it back to the store. I removed the device from Kasa. I removed from Alexa using the forget option. It keeps coming back in Alexa.

There seems to be no way to remove the device from Alexa. I suspect that at Kasa, the device is still registered on their servers in some fashion and Alexa can discover it.

The question is, what happens when someone buys this returned unit? Does it complain that it is already registered and then get returned again to the store, over and over. Does Kasa eventually purge these devices from their databases?

The only solution I can see is to remove the devices again from Kasa via phone app, then create a new kasa account and then re-add the devices (if you can) to the new account and then add the new account to Alexa to rediscover the devices under the new account.

I would rather it to just go away though so that I don't have to do all of that.
Options
2017-03-06 10:50:19
You can cause Alexa to 'forget' a device by going to the Smart Homes section, go down to where your devices are listed; near each there should be a link marked 'forget'. Press that, and it's gone.

I wouldn't work on that right now, though. TP Link lost their cloud servers in a catastrophic failure, and we're all wondering how long it's going to take to get all this back up. There's no word from TP Link on this issue beyond an email notifying at least some of us that the failure occurred

Mike
Options
Removing Kasa device from Alexa
2017-03-06 23:26:24
Not sure what you mean by "reset it"? You have to "delete device" from Kasa. It's in the settings menu for the device (3 horizontal lines top right corner of the device screen) at the very bottom. That's the way I solved the problem.

I reinstalled the device, set it up again, and then deleted it. Problem solved.

If you already returned the device you may be out of luck. Have you tried deleting the cache, and removing the Kasa app? I never tried that, but that could be a solution.

prohidium wrote

I have the same issue. I purchased an HS200, set it up, it did not do what I wanted so I reset it and took it back to the store. I removed the device from Kasa. I removed from Alexa using the forget option. It keeps coming back in Alexa.

There seems to be no way to remove the device from Alexa. I suspect that at Kasa, the device is still registered on their servers in some fashion and Alexa can discover it.

The question is, what happens when someone buys this returned unit? Does it complain that it is already registered and then get returned again to the store, over and over. Does Kasa eventually purge these devices from their databases?

The only solution I can see is to remove the devices again from Kasa via phone app, then create a new kasa account and then re-add the devices (if you can) to the new account and then add the new account to Alexa to rediscover the devices under the new account.

I would rather it to just go away though so that I don't have to do all of that.
Options
2017-03-07 06:46:55

MetalMD wrote

Not sure what you mean by "reset it"? You have to "delete device" from Kasa. It's in the settings menu for the device (3 horizontal lines top right corner of the device screen) at the very bottom. That's the way I solved the problem.

I reinstalled the device, set it up again, and then deleted it. Problem solved.

If you already returned the device you may be out of luck. Have you tried deleting the cache, and removing the Kasa app? I never tried that, but that could be a solution.

By reset I meant I factory reset the device before I uninstalled it from the electrical hookup. I successfully deleted it from the Kasa app prior to returning the device to the store. It is gone from the Kasa app, no issue there. The remaining issue is that under Smart Home, within Alexa, I click on the "forget" button which removes the non-existent Kasa TP-Link device but within the hour, it is back listed under Smart Home devices in the Alexa app/online. I have removed the link to Kasa within Alexa and added it back as well but the issue still exists.

I highly suspect that at Kasa, they have a database that has the device still listed and when Alexa polls Kasa, it simply finds the device in the Kasa database and then relists it and then it sits under Smart Home in Alexa as offline. The problem will likely exist until someone else buys that device and sets it up. Probably the factory reset I did had no effect on removing it from the Kasa database and also removing the device from the Kasa app did not remove it from the Kasa database. It was said that TP-Link had a cloud storage failure but obviously Alexa is connecting to something, finding the device as valid and then relisting it under Smart Home. This is really a residual issue between Alexa and Kasa. Again, the Kasa app no longer shows the device (the other two devices I have are still listed). Also, when I set up Kaza on another device, it only sees the two remaining devices which it appears to have found based on a local network scan.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3261

Replies: 6