lb 110 bulb loses connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

lb 110 bulb loses connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
41 Reply
Re:lb 110 bulb loses connection
2017-01-25 21:19:06
I noticed my bulb would flash on and off. I think I'm losing the connection when it does that. It's always reconnects so not bothering me that much. I did lose my connection to Alexa yesterday, but again it reconnected. Still watching it and definitely happier with it now.
Options
Disappointed in TP-Link
2017-01-27 22:28:46
I have the same bulbs and plugs. My LB120 fw version is 1.0.9. When running check for updates, the result is no updates available. TP-Link is either not pushing SW updates to production / distribution or the tool does not work. With the on-going wifi stability problems, it seems an update push is OVERDUE.
Options
2017-02-06 11:46:11
My firmware version is 1.2.3 for lb110 on February 5 2017
Options
2017-02-13 14:59:54
I've been having similar problems, I have a 20 device network, my LB120/LB130 lightbulbs would occasionally not respond to Echo/Alexa commands, or drop off the network entirely (Kasa couldn't see them either), so I did the following things:
1. I upgraded my router to an OnHub (TP-link makes one model, ASUS makes another), since they claim that can support up 100+ devices. Many less expensive routers are more limited in device support, so if you have a $20-$50 router, and are having issues, it might be worth looking into. The device I picked cost about $150 USD, but I have a lot going on over my network, so I could justify it.
2. I also wound up turning off my local (Comcast) private network, to prevent "double NAT", and changed all my devices over to the new network/router (Which took me about half an hour, might take somebody else a few hours if they don't spend a lot of time working on networks). For the lightbulbs, turn them off and on 3 times, "add" them in Kasa, and they'll get the names they had before. For HS 100's, hold down the settings button. This combination bumped up my WIFi speeds in the process, after I did both things I went from from 97Mbs/sec to 230 Mbs/sec on my faster computer, which is nice.
3.I also found a for the firmware upgrader, for folks looking for that. On the FAQ page for the plugs )(not the lightbulbs), http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-949.html, there's a link to:
http://static.tp-link.com/iotUpgradeTool_V1.0.zip
The iotUpgradeTool does what we all kind of hope/expect the Kasa app to do... update firmware. Even though it's on the plugs FAQ page, it also does lightbulbs. It requires a windows machine of some kind to run (so, if you're a Mac or Linux house, you might need to borrow one, and put it on your network while updating firmware).
a.) extract it and run the "main" application in the folder.
b.) Press "scan" to get a list of devices on the same network as the machine running the tool.
c.) Select a device and press "upgrade". It'll churn away and upgrade you devices.
After doing so today (2/12/2017) for all the devices, the Lightbulbs (LB120,LB130) are on "1.2.3 Build 170123, Rel 100146", and the WiFi switches, HS100's, are on "1.1.2 Build 161014, Rel 12426"
Options
Solved the problem of my bulbs dropping off WIFI
2017-03-07 00:48:59
See my previous posts on this subject. I am pretty sure the problems rest with older routers. I purchased a newer router NightHawk Netgear C6900 and everything works great now.
Options
2017-03-07 17:00:22
I tend to agree RJarrett. My old router finally died and I replaced it with a Netgear NightHawk AC9100. The disconnects have stopped.
Options
2017-03-09 05:24:22

ronabop wrote

I've been having similar problems, I have a 20 device network, my LB120/LB130 lightbulbs would occasionally not respond to Echo/Alexa commands, or drop off the network entirely (Kasa couldn't see them either), so I did the following things:
1. I upgraded my router to an OnHub (TP-link makes one model, ASUS makes another), since they claim that can support up 100+ devices. Many less expensive routers are more limited in device support, so if you have a $20-$50 router, and are having issues, it might be worth looking into. The device I picked cost about $150 USD, but I have a lot going on over my network, so I could justify it.
2. I also wound up turning off my local (Comcast) private network, to prevent "double NAT", and changed all my devices over to the new network/router (Which took me about half an hour, might take somebody else a few hours if they don't spend a lot of time working on networks). For the lightbulbs, turn them off and on 3 times, "add" them in Kasa, and they'll get the names they had before. For HS 100's, hold down the settings button. This combination bumped up my WIFi speeds in the process, after I did both things I went from from 97Mbs/sec to 230 Mbs/sec on my faster computer, which is nice.
3.I also found a for the firmware upgrader, for folks looking for that. On the FAQ page for the plugs )(not the lightbulbs), http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-949.html, there's a link to:
http://static.tp-link.com/iotUpgradeTool_V1.0.zip
The iotUpgradeTool does what we all kind of hope/expect the Kasa app to do... update firmware. Even though it's on the plugs FAQ page, it also does lightbulbs. It requires a windows machine of some kind to run (so, if you're a Mac or Linux house, you might need to borrow one, and put it on your network while updating firmware).
a.) extract it and run the "main" application in the folder.
b.) Press "scan" to get a list of devices on the same network as the machine running the tool.
c.) Select a device and press "upgrade". It'll churn away and upgrade you devices.
After doing so today (2/12/2017) for all the devices, the Lightbulbs (LB120,LB130) are on "1.2.3 Build 170123, Rel 100146", and the WiFi switches, HS100's, are on "1.1.2 Build 161014, Rel 12426"

First, THANK YOU for posting the link to the firmware updater, the TP-Link site is horrible, something this basic should not be so difficult to find.

However I keep receiving error messages, all variations on "upgrade failed". It took a while to get to that point as a combination of firewall and network segmentation gave me lots of grief in being able to scan and find the bulbs but I was finally successful in finding all four of them. Because the update fails on the first bulb and does not continue after that I tried to relaunch the app in the hopes of having the bulbs discovered in a different order, but not matter which bulb is first it always fails in the same way (see attached)

I also found that I got improved reliability/fewer dropoffs once I upgraded my previous router (a recent Netgear) to Google Wifi, the bulbs were on the other side of the house form my office so the mesh provides better coverage. I can see that my bulbs have between -58 and -70 dBm signal strength, which ought to be sufficient. At this point I don't know how to proceed and don't have great hopes for a solution from TP-Link based on prior requests

Regards,

Matt
Options
2017-03-10 01:54:25
Try selecting the bulb you want to upgrade in the top window. I was able to do one at a time rather than all at once.

The tp link IoT local protocol is using broadcast UDP so depending on how your mesh network works it may be blocking requests that are not direct to the tp link device.

In any case you might want to try moving a bulb closer to the station used by the computer, or even better try connecting them both to the gateway directly.
Options
2017-03-10 03:50:53
Thanks Mike, the interface didn't suggest that single selections were possible but then again it took someone in this forum to reveal where the tool was so I guess I should have banged on it more. I did try making sure that I was connected to the same wifi point as the bulbs but it didn't make a difference, and as the entire mesh is subnetted as a single network segment the traffic would have been between IPs within the same network. When I get home tonight I will try to select one at a time.
Options
2017-03-10 22:08:24
So I tried one at a time, upgrade still fails for each device. How does the updater app know which firmware to apply? If the updater we are using came from a different product area, where is the package coming from that is specific to our bulbs? Does that have to be downloaded separately for the upgrade utility to be able to apply it?

I went searching through the TP-Link site and started at the top level and drilled down in the hierarchy to see what they have to say about updating our firmware, they indicate that Kasa is used for this but when I try it it says there is no update for any devices it can connect to (all LB120's, each at v1.0.9.

You know how in the cartoons a light bulb appears over the head of a character when they have a great idea? I'm pretty sure it's not a TP-Link bulb.
Options