Wink Integration?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Wink Integration?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Wink Integration?
Wink Integration?
2017-04-18 22:35:18
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Is there any way to integrate the TP-Link HS105 smart plug with a Wink Hub?
Options
8 Reply
Re:Wink Integration?
2017-04-25 02:48:20
You mean can you control your TP Link devices using the wink app? I assume you're not asking to control a wifi device like the TP Link with the (quickly going obsolete) zigbee support in the wink hub, that would defeat the purpose.
Not to my knowledge, but there are a few aftermarket apps that integrate multiple device vendors.
Options
2017-12-09 05:30:47
That is exactly what I would like to do. 100% of my home is Wink controlled, which is linked to Alexa. I have no desire for multiple apps and multiple integrations.
Options
2017-12-09 06:58:21
So much for vendor neutral ;). Wink is a hub, TP Links main feature is being hub-less. You could look higher up the stack and link through alexa instead of just wink to unify your devices which is more vendor neutral (amazon aside). Otherwise you're stuck with whatever wink decides to support.
Options
2017-12-17 05:07:10

MikeP_AutomationManager wrote

So much for vendor neutral ;). Wink is a hub, TP Links main feature is being hub-less. You could look higher up the stack and link through alexa instead of just wink to unify your devices which is more vendor neutral (amazon aside). Otherwise you're stuck with whatever wink decides to support.

So if I have a motion sensor in the Wink system, there is no way to control a TP-link plug? Are you suggesting to Wink and other system owners to scrap their investment and buy everything from TP-link or use Alexa to unify the devices? OK, I got Amazon Echo and can control the TP-link plug with my voice - very nice, but I need to control it with my motion sensor! Is it possible to control a TP-link plug with a motion sensor?
Options
2017-12-18 01:35:25
I don't expect much of anything :). Least of all that competitors will enable each other's devices... So yes, to integrate them you need to look for vendor neutral options. Alexa or IFTTT if you don't mind a few seconds delay, or a local vendor neutral hub like mine or one of the others.

For future considerations I would stay away from vendor IoT hubs or IoT devices with a closed API for exactly that reason, they're a closed system with no standards. Worse still are the cheaper cloud only devices. They all collect an awful lot of your personal information in their cloud - my app suite lets you block them from the internet so you don't need to worry about privacy.
Options
2017-12-19 04:21:11
FWIW, I successfully did what I wanted (control a TP-Link plug with a motion sensor under Wink) over Stringify (not IFTTT). It was actually much easier than control WeMo plugs, which only work through IFTTT. The delay controlling the TP-Link plug over Stringify is only ~1 sec - pretty good; I do understand that it may get slower if their servers are overloaded, so I would really like to setup a local server that would do the same thing as Stringify - is it possible, do TP-Link devices have open API?

So much for vendor neutrality of the neutral providers like IFTTT and Stringity - each support different vendors and do not have a good connection between each other - clearly dividing the world there. @ MikeP_AutomationManager: ' or a local vendor neutral hub like mine ' - which one are you talking about? Could you please name the make/model?
Options
2017-12-19 22:18:16
My app suite supports TP Link along with Philips Hue and Belkin Wemo (so far), it runs as a hub on an old android tablet or phone you have surplus, or low end new from bestbuy/target/walmart, etc (usually < $30 for a prepaid, no need for activation), or any pc/mac/linux you have running. If you click on my name here you'll see more info and a link to my site for the gory details.
Options
Dude your being so rude because you don’t like you lack knowledge
2018-01-30 21:33:22

sun2sirius wrote

FWIW, I successfully did what I wanted (control a TP-Link plug with a motion sensor under Wink) over Stringify (not IFTTT). It was actually much easier than control WeMo plugs, which only work through IFTTT. The delay controlling the TP-Link plug over Stringify is only ~1 sec - pretty good; I do understand that it may get slower if their servers are overloaded, so I would really like to setup a local server that would do the same thing as Stringify - is it possible, do TP-Link devices have open API?So much for vendor neutrality of the neutral providers like IFTTT and Stringity - each support different vendors and do not have a good connection between each other - clearly dividing the world there. @ MikeP_AutomationManager: ' or a local vendor neutral hub like mine ' - which one are you talking about? Could you please name the make/model?
Dude he I bwing completely honest and you sound like you lack knowledge about home automation with this question as you should be asking wink not him . And you did what he suggested! He first said there are other apps that will allow the linking. And you said “no I don’t want to use a whole bunch of apps I wan to use...” and then you go and use STRINGIFY! Which is another app! And you say it wasn’t IFTTT but STRINGIFY is pretty much IFTTT! Just a different platform that doesn’t do as much as IFTTT so instead they can link with IFTTT.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1836

Replies: 8

Related Articles