Joining a network to activate TP-Link

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-04-25 03:28:51
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Ok...brand new here and to the TP-link. I've looked through the forum and did not see anything similar to my question so perhaps I could get some ideas from you.
At my house, my smartphone is connected to the wireless network. In trying to set up this unit, it wants to me connect my wireless device (Phone?) to the TP-Link. If I connect my smartphone to the TP-Link,as it shows in the app, then I'm no longer connect to my home's wireless connection and neither would my Alexa. Am I not going far enough with this or am I doing something totally wrong?
Thanks for any help.
Options
6 Reply
Re:Joining a network to activate TP-Link
2017-04-25 19:47:02
You need to connect to the device temporarily for setup. Once the device is setup and on your network, your phone will revert to your wireless network. Are you seeing something different?
Options
2017-04-25 19:51:40
No...I never got that far. I stopped when it wanted me to change wireless connection. If the set-up does continue and then bring it back to my original wireless connection then
I will attempt that today. I didn't want to mess something up, which is why I didn't continue.
Thank you for your help and response...I will post my results later today.
Again, thank you
don
Options
2017-04-26 19:22:18
No worries...keep going! The app needs to connect to the device to load the settings. Once loaded, the modules can operate on their own on your wireless network. Your phone will be connected as well, and you can operate them with the kasa app.
Options
Confused
2017-04-28 11:15:45
Ok, I got the mini and I create an account. Then it asks me to connect to TP-LINK_Smart Plug xxx. I do that. Then it says to connect to network ARRIS-15F2 and it asks for a password. What network is that? What password? My home network or? The process always fails and I have to reset and start over.

FOLLOW UP: I had a two pack and BOTH came back with a random network name to join that didn't exist. There was no broadcast SSID showing either. After I reset several times it finally popped up my network SSID and I was able to continue. Multiple resets on both and really not sure where the random network names are coming from.
Options
2017-04-28 18:38:34
You are connecting to the plug, then giving the plug the password to your router, so the plug can connect to it. You want the devices to connect to the same router/network that you use for your phone/PC, etc. Once it's on your network, you can interact with it via the Kasa app.I followed the setup steps exactly as presented, and I had no problems getting my plugs on the network.
Options
connecting issues out of the box
2017-12-22 18:36:55
I've downloaded kasa onto my android samsung. TP link shows up but at no time do I get to connection page where I'd put in my home internet p/w therefore preventing me from securing a log in to my plug.
It just keeps spinning and saying internet may not be available. What am I missing?
Options