Recommended smart hub?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Recommended smart hub?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Recommended smart hub?
Recommended smart hub?
2017-05-19 23:53:53
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I've been looking for a hub to integrate my numerous TP-Link devices, other than connecting directly to my wifi router. I've seen the Wink Hub 2 supports Wifi, but can't get an answer from them on connectivity and/or support for TP-Link.

Has anyone used the Wink Hub 2 with their TP-Link devices?

Is there ANY smart hub that TP-Link devices will integrate with?
Options
4 Reply
Re:Recommended smart hub?
2017-05-20 23:46:39
TP Link wifi devices will always connect to your wifi. Wink hub 2 supports wifi, so it's a WAP as well as a hub? Seems a bit strange to buy a hub for devices that are intended to be hubless though. You could buy (or reuse an old) low end wifi router or WAP to dedicate to the TP Link devices.

My AutomationManager app (click on my user name to see links to more info) runs on a low end android device that serves an access, automation, and remote server hub/engine for the TP Link (and other) devices if you want local control to avoid going through any cloud server/services. Both that android device and the TP Link devices would still need to connect through a wifi router but you could use the above suggestion to isolate them further.
Options
2017-05-31 06:02:53
My initial reaction is - no. I just looked on the Wink site and the TP-Link is not on the list. Be very careful. There are two aspects to the hubs and WiFi (my experience is with SmartThings). There must be management software to discover and track the devices on the LAN (as they change IP address). Then, there has to be a device handler (driver) that has the human-machine interface and translates the user inputs into the explicit commands for the device and translates the responses from the bulb.

On Smasung SmartThings, the native capability does not support TP-Link. Users have developed DHs that require a separate bridge device with free software (I wrote one set of these using a spare PC). The problem is:
a. The TP-Link devices do not support standard discovery protocols and IP address. They are also not UPNP devices (which are supported by SmartThings discovery).
b. The TP-Link devices use direct TCP communications vice HTTP - the SmartThings hub does not support TCP from the hub to the device (therefore the bridge device).
c. The TP-Link API is not exposed to SmartThings, therefore the code is based on reverse engineering. The commands and data structure do not follow a global standard (link Z-Wave, Zigbee, UPNP).

I do not know if this applies to the Wink Hub. Your best place for an answer would be to find and browse the Wink Hub community.

That being said, ask yourself where you are going.
a. What device types (WiFi, Z-Wave, Zigbee)
b. How do you want to control (Phone App, Alexa, Google)

Wink and SmartThings are primarily Z-wave and Zigbee with additional support for some WiFi devices. Basically Z-Wave and Zigbee are native, WiFi devices depend on many factors and few are plug-n-play (for many, you will have to manually install a smart app and device handlers).

Final comment: I have a SmartThings hub. They have a lot of WiFi support from the Community, usually free. I have the following WiFi devices
a. Connected directly: Wemo Switches, Sensi Thermostat, Blink Cameras, Logitech Harmony.
b. Connected through a Bridge device: TP-Link Plugs, Switches and Bulbs - basic control functions (on/off, brightness, color_temp, color, circadian mode) and (for the HS110 only) energy monitor.

Go to SmartThings, look on the support community, and search.
Options
2018-10-18 19:03:07
I read about Vera hub . What can you say about him? Did someone use?
Options
2018-10-22 19:18:46
Vera Plus is the full range of compatible devices. This is a one of a kind home automation system that is compatible with Wi-Fi, Z-Wave, ZigBee, Bluetooth, and USB. You can read more in reviews or in other articles.
https://robotbox.net/samsung-smartthings-vs-wink-hub-2/

https://www.zwavesverige.se/kontrollenheter/vera-control-vera-plus-gen-5
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1685

Replies: 4

Related Articles