"Let's give it a friendlier name..."

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-06-25 04:01:25
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I'm trying to set up a Smart Wi-Fi Plug Mini, HS 105. When it gets to the stage where you set the name "Let's give it a friendlier name, like "Living Room Lamp"" not only won't it take the names I want to give it the thing won't take any names, including "Living Room Lamp" and a few other things I tried out of frustration (and won't repeat here!).

There is no reset hole on these, I've backed out of the app and tried again, a couple of times it's said there was already configuration data and wanted to reset it, but the reset failed (with no explanation of course).

The app and the firmware all seem to be up to date, I'm not sure what to do next short of sending it back.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Options
6 Reply
Re:"Let's give it a friendlier name..."
2017-06-25 23:13:12
You should find the reset instructions the user guide for the switch. Typically you press and hold the on/off button for about 10s till the wifi LED starts flashing rapidly.

Perhaps let the app finish with the default name to make sure it connects to your wifi and is controllable with the app, then try to change the name?
Options
Default name
2017-07-04 11:02:39

MikeP_AutomationManager wrote

You should find the reset instructions the user guide for the switch. Typically you press and hold the on/off button for about 10s till the wifi LED starts flashing rapidly.

Perhaps let the app finish with the default name to make sure it connects to your wifi and is controllable with the app, then try to change the name?

That's a good suggestion, but it wouldn't take that either.

I found the instructions and did a factory reset, it then let me change the name (progress!) but then can't find my Wi-Fi even though the phone (and this computer) are connected to it.

One step at a time.

I still can't believe we can't do this home automation stuff as easily today as we could in the 80's with the GE Homeminder and X-10 technology.
Options
2017-07-12 17:30:55
is your Wi-Fi broacast ssid? 2.4G or 5Ghz? You can try different channels on your router or move it closed to the router during the setup process.
Options
2017-07-20 01:16:33
Were you able to resolve this?? I'm having the same problem.
Options
2017-07-20 09:30:16
try to move the plug next to router and do the setup again. Make sure router SSID is not hidden.
Options
Misleading error
2017-09-11 05:39:51
This "Let's give it a friendlier name" is a misleading error (i.e. a red herring). I reset the app and the device 3 times each before I got past it. Now that it is set up, it works like a charm.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 853

Replies: 6

Related Articles