Comparing Tapo H100 and H200 Sub-G Smart Hubs

Released On: a week agoLast update time: a week ago

The Tapo H100 and H200 Smart Hubs work as the brain of your Tapo Smart Home, bringing more advanced automations, compatibility, and Sub-GHz networking to your home.

We often see questions about which hub is needed or what devices are compatible with each other, and this guide should help guide your decision. In general, the Tapo H100 is used specifically for Smart Home Connectivity, while the Tapo H200 is used for both Smart Home Connectivity and to communicate with compatible Sub-GHz Cameras.

What Does a Sub-G Hub Add to my Smart Home?

• Integrating Sub-GHz Sensors or Cameras: Add compatibility for Sub-GHz sensors or add Sub-GHz compatible cameras to your home.
  • Bridging Matter Devices: Connect your Matter-Compatible sensors devices to other platforms for broader interoperability as a Matter Bridge.
  • Creating Local Automations: Set up local automations for your compatible Tapo plugs sensors, switches, and lights - removing your automation's reliance on the internet.

What is the Difference Between the H100 and H200 Smart Hubs?

• Camera Compatibility: The H200 works with both Sub-GHz security cameras and Sub-GHz Sensors, while the H100 only works with non-camera Tapo devices such as Sensors.
  • Wired Connectivity: The H200 has an ethernet port for wired connection, while the H100 relies on Wi-Fi for its internet connection.
  • Local Storage: H200 has a microSD card slot for local recording storage, while H100 doesn't.
  • Local Automations: The H100’s emphasis on sensor connectivity includes features such as Local Smart Actions.

Please Note: Non-Sub-GHz Cameras cannot use the H200’s SD Card or Camera Features. These features require a compatible Sub-GHz Camera such as the C400 or C420.

Tapo H100

Tapo H200

Connectivity

Sub-GHz, Wi-Fi

Sub-GHz, Wi-Fi

Hardware Ports

Power

Power, Ethernet, microSD

Sensor Compatibility

Sub-GHz Devices: Tapo T100, T110, T300, T310, T315, S200D, (S200B)

Example Camera Compatibility

-

Tapo C400, C420, D230

SD Card Recording for Cameras

-

✔️

Sold Individually

✔️

-

Local Smart Actions

✔️

Matter Bridging

✔️

✔️

Maximum Devices

64 Sensors

64 Sensors + 4 Cameras

Integrated Alarm/Chime

✔️

✔️

Form Factor

Wall Plug-In

Tabletop

Overview Page

H100 Overview

H200 Overview

When Should I Choose an H100 over an H200?

The H100 is a likely better fit for your needs unless you're adding Sub-GHz cameras like the C420.

• You only have Tapo smart home devices that require a hub, such as sensors or buttons.
    • Tapo T100, T110, T300, T310, T315, S200D, S200B
  • You don't plan to use Tapo Sub-GHz security cameras (C420, doorbell camera) with recording and siren features.
  • Local Smart Actions: Local Smart Actions is currently only available for the H100

When Should I Choose a Tapo H200?

• The H200 is most often sold as a bundle with compatible Sub-GHz Cameras (C400 and C420). If you use a Sub-GHz camera, you will need an H200 to connect the cameras.
  • Without Sub-GHz cameras, an H100 Smart Hub is recommended.

Common Questions:

Can I use the Tapo H200 with other Tapo Cameras?

No, the recording and SD Card functions of the Tapo H200 is designed for use with only Sub-GHz cameras. Your other Tapo cameras will need to continue to use Wi-Fi for their cloud connection and their onboard SD Card for recording video.

Your other Tapo devices and cameras can still make use of the IoT functionality of the Tapo H200 through the Smart Action feature. Your hub will also work as a Matter Bridge for compatible sub-ghz sensors, allowing your devices to work with third-party platforms.

What devices are supported by the H200?

The list of supported devices is always changing to accommodate new features and product lines. In general, the information can be found on a device’s product page or will be sold as a bundle.

Doorbells: Tapo D230

Cameras: Tapo C400, C405, C420

Sensors: Tapo S200D (Dimmer Button) , T100 (Motion), T110 (Contact), T300 (Water Leak), T310/315 (Temperature Sensors)

How Do I Know if my Tapo Hub is Managing the Smart Actions for my Home?

When creating a Smart Action, there will be a notice that the action is managed by a local smart hub. Otherwise, there will be a small Tapo Logo next to the Automation’s Image.

Local Smart Actions have specific requirements regarding what devices and triggers/actions may be used. You can learn more about their requirements and how to identify their status in our Community Article:

Getting Started with Local Smart Actions

Comment
upload
    upload