Using a pair of HS210s as a 3-way switch with a single load

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-05 01:24:23
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

I bought a pair of HS210s with the intention of using them to switch a single load. There are no travelers wire between the locations so one switch is connected to the single load while the other is just powered with no wires attached to the traveler terminals.

I installed both switched independently and used tried to use a smart action so that the remote switch would also switch the load so the two switches would operate like a conventional three way switch. The remote switch turns off the load but will not turn it on.

what have I done wrong are the switches not capable of this? It seems like pretty basic functionality I.e. linking two switches.

Thanks,

James

Options
1 Reply
Re:Using a pair of HS210s as a 3-way switch with a single load
2022-02-07 02:22:01

@MaineJames 

OK. I found the problem. The HS210 ( and perhaps other switches) don't operate correctly without some kind of load attached. In the case of a fully remote switch where there is no load, you need to use something. I proved this by hooking up a bulb to one of the traveler wires. Using smart actions I'm now able to have two switches control each other.

so the problem left to solve is how what can use as a dummy load that will fit inside a junction box?
On another thread someone suggested a ballast (capacitor). That would be ideal as no power is wasted. Any ideas?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 560

Replies: 1

Related Articles