Kasa Smart Plug Mini controlled by an existing dimmer switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-11 02:09:14 - last edited 2022-10-11 02:10:59

Are the Kasa smart plugs NOT compatible with an existing (dumb) dimmer switch?

I have an LED light fixture that I control with a dimmer switch. I don't have a neutral wire to use a smart switch, so was hoping to use a Kasa Smart Plug Mini to simply turn the light on or off with my phone / voice and leave the existing dimmer switch turned on, set to my desired brightness level.

However, even with the dimmer switch turned on and set at max brightness level, neither of the Kasa mini's I plug into the [dimmer controlled] outlet will even light up to begin the wifi setup procedure. If I plug the mini's into some other outlet (controlled by a standard switch or not) they work as expected.

Am I doing something wrong, or am I out of luck trying to use a smart plug on a circuit controlled by an existing dimmer switch?

Wondering what my options are to be able to control my dimmable LED fixtures using Kasa smart products when I don't have a neutral wire. Home built in 1956.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Kasa Smart Plug Mini controlled by an existing dimmer switch
2022-10-11 17:22:17

@Etherial,

Smart plugs need to have full power given to them, dimming the plug essentially prevents the plug from receiving the power expected, and stops the process there. We have a KP405 which is an outdoor product but is one of the only products that we offer that allows for the power to be dimmed via a power plug, rather than a switch or bulb.

Technically, you can leave the dimmers at 100% brightness and use the smart plug, however, you would not be able to dim the light this way.

Options
Re:Kasa Smart Plug Mini controlled by an existing dimmer switch
2022-10-12 02:38:35

@Riley_S 

I see... Thank you for clarifying.

I guess that means my only option here would be to swap the existing dimmer switch with a standard switch, and then use the OD Kasa Dimmer Plug to control my LED fixture via the Kasa app. That's actually doable for me because I can hide the OD dimmer plug out of sight in my application.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 474

Replies: 2

Related Articles