Motion in ifttt

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Motion in ifttt

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Motion in ifttt
Motion in ifttt
2022-12-26 05:40:22
Model: KS220M  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: 1.09

There were previous forum posts that were ignored them blocked from responses by TP Link.

People have been waiting 3 years to actually be able to use the motion ability.

Tp link is unresponsive!?!

Here's the previous thread.

https://community.tp-link.com/us/smart-home/forum/topic/508512

Can we actually get a real response? Or is TP Link just going to keep ignoring?

I just got 15 of these motion dimmers, lucky I only installed 1 before I found out they don't work as they logically should. Should I return them? 

Options
8 Reply
Re:Motion in ifttt
2022-12-28 17:55:21

@Guttie 

If your request is to be able to use TP-Link's smart home devices as Triggers in IFTTT the answer is no its not possible.  TP-Link's relationship with IFTTT with our smart home devices has always been and only been to be action devices.  If you are looking for Triggers you can look at Smart Actions in the Kasa app.  If there is a smart action you would like to see that is not available then please let us know so we can refer that to the development team for evaluation.  We cannot guarantee request can be accommodated but we will refer it for evaluation. 

Options
2022-12-28 20:41:29 - last edited 2022-12-28 20:42:23

@Carl 

In smart triggers under motion your switches don't show up either.

Under the "triggers" only if light is on our off, no "motion detected" 

SmartThings/Google/IFTTT all don't see it either.

The trigger I want to set up is ...

If motion detected and if time is between 6pm AND 10pm THEN  turn on light at 80%. Then turn off after 5 min.

If motion detected and if time is between 11pm and 6am then turn on light at 20%. Then turn off after 1 min.

Ignore between 6am and 6pm.

Smart things can IFTTT can do this but they need to see the motion that's supposed to be built in.

Options
2022-12-29 17:10:52

@Guttie 

So at this time.  The smart action "motion detection" trigger can only be a Kasa camera.  I will ask that they add the switches with PIR sensors as well, but it might take some time if it is even possible.  I don't know that it is.  Additionally, Auto-Off can be applied to any product but it would be a separate smart action once a trigger is applied however only 1 auto-off can be applied to a specific product at once. I can also see if this can be further enhanced but again I do not know if it will be possible, but of course, I will ask.  

I know you mentioned SmartThings, if you didn't know TP-Link Kasa is fully integrated to SmartThings so you can always try what you want to do there as well. 

Options
2023-04-17 14:21:53

@Carl 

Carl wrote

@Guttie 

I will ask that they add the switches with PIR sensors as well, but it might take some time

It's been 4 months. Did you receive a response from product management? Are motion switches as triggers in a product roadmap?

I would hope that the ability to control light based on motion detection would be high on your list.

Options
2023-04-17 14:42:47

@goatfacts 

Hell no, why would they respond.

I highly doubt the support is actually there, I think it's not customer support is just a place for customers to complain and be ignored.

Options
2023-04-17 17:19:10

@goatfacts 

This would not be something that product management decides.  This is an enhancement request for a feature inside the Kasa app.  So the determination would come from the design team and programming engineers,  To answer your question, no there has not been an update yet.  That is not entirely uncommon though.  We do not receive updates on software enhancements and generally find out about them when the software is updated.  

Additionally, the Motion Detection smart action uses a camera to control another smart device.  Since Control with a Smart Switch, uses a switch to do the same thing it might be considered unnecessary.

What I will do is send the request back up and see if I can get a yes or no.  If I do I will update this thread. 

Options
2023-04-17 17:25:56

@Guttie 

I don't see any other threads or posts from you other than the ones here on this Thread.  I have responded each time to you too so I am not sure why you think we are unresponsive.  TP-Link Devices as triggers on IFTTT will not happen.  SmartThings is available and you may be able to use there Smart Actions to achieve your desired affects.  Also we have made a lot of enhancements to our smart actions and scene features, including removing the limit of 3 active, so I do encourage you to look at what you can do now and see if it works for you.  If not please provide more details and I would be happy to add it to our feature requests.  Just know a request does not mean a feature will be made.

Options
2023-04-17 17:29:58

The problem is you cannot trigger based on motion even in your own software.

Secondly why I say to link is unresponsive, 

When I searched about this issue I found forum posts from I think 2 years ago. And responses were asking the lines of "we are implementing this soon" which never happened. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 422

Replies: 8

Related Articles