Color selection on KL400L5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-08 14:23:00
Model: KL400L5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have Kasa lights and switches throughout the house and finally purchased under-cabinet lighting.  We typically set our bulbs at 2700K, but the KL400 does not have an option within the app to select a specific white temperature.  We have connected to Alexa, hoping that a voice command would specify the exact color, but not luck.

How do we specify the desired kelvin and/or specific color for this light strip?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Color selection on KL400L5
2023-01-10 01:39:40 - last edited 2023-01-10 01:40:33

@MattyK312,

Unfortunately, I am a Google Home User so my experience is different than yours, however, my Kasa Light strip is able to respond to color names that match the rest of my lights. IF possible you may try setting the device in an Alexa Group and sending the command to the group. To stay within the Kasa App, you will have to select the color temperature using the color wheel when creating a lighting preset. When creating the preset, you will be "Painting" the colors on the light strip, rather than if you were to change the whole strip at one time.

My personal recommendation is to look at connecting your devices to Samsung SmartThings as SmartThings has one of the most througough and advanced automation platforms. This functionality can be configured there.

Options
2023-01-10 13:00:26

@Riley_S Thank you,

I will attempt with Google Home as well to see if that works.  We have Alexa in the kitchen as our Ring screen, and found that Google and she did not "get along" well in the same room before.

One part of your response I'd like to double check: 'you will be "Painting" the colors on the light strip, rather than if you were to change the whole strip at one time.'  I'm not sure what you mean by painting the colors rather than the whole strip at one time.  Being the KL400, the strip can only be one color at a time... would you please clarify?

Smart Things may happen one day at our house.  On the other hand, we're an Apple house so it will likely be HomeKit eventually.  This will be its own headache as I'll have to figure out which bulbs, switches and plugs are compatible and which need to be replaced.  

Options
2023-01-23 07:10:15

This strip can create up to 16 million colors and has a 1-100% dimmable range. It can be bent, shaped, and cut to size for a custom fit. A lifespan of 25,000 hours ensures that the strip will last for many years to come. Compatibility with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and SmartThings enables seamless voice commands. Run your light strip automatically to fit any event with Kasa Smart app.

Options