Smart switches and plugs don't work with LED bulbs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-13 13:58:13
Model: Kasa HS200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have installed HS200 on three circuits without issue. They all work fine for both remote and local switching when I use incandescent or

compact fluorescent bulbs. However, the following LED bulbs will not light. Any insights on why that might be? 

The exact same thing happens with my EP10 smart plugs.

These are the LED bulbs I tried:

Great Value LED Light Bulb, 3W (25W Equivalent) B10 Deco Lamp E12 Candelabra Base, Dimmable, Soft White, 4-Pack
https://www.walmart.com/ip/781304921

Options
1 Reply
Re:Smart switches and plugs don't work with LED bulbs
2023-12-13 20:53:17

@KurtK if you have multiple sockets in one fixture, try adding back incandescent bulbs one at a time. I have that issue with old Heath-Zenith motion sensing switches.  They won't work with 3x3watt LED bulbs or compact fluorescent) but they will with 2x3w LEDs + 1x20w halogen.  Come to find out the switch is rated 30w minimum.  It still works at 26w, but not at 9w.

I've tried to find the minimum current spec on the equivalent TP-Link motion sensing switch with no luck.  I suppose I could just roll the dice, but it's a lot of work when the upside is only 17w.  Be nice if they published specs.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 219

Replies: 1

Related Articles