Votes

[Tapo App] iOS 18 Widget Support

Votes

[Tapo App] iOS 18 Widget Support

27 Reply
Re:[Tapo App] iOS 18 Widget Support
2024-08-03 15:21:03

Implementing WidgetKit is straightforward if your app is already developed with SwiftUI. However, if your app is written in Objective-C or React Native, you will need to rewrite it in SwiftUI to support WidgetKit.

One challenge with Apple deprecating the Today View is the limitations associated with migrating Today Extensions to WidgetKit. For example these widget can't include videos/live feeds and support interactions directly within the widget without it redirecting us by opening the app.

Options
2024-08-12 00:06:31

Following in hopes of new developments as we approach the official release of iOS 18...

Work-around

For those in the same boat, you can use Kasa scenes in Shortcuts and add those as widgets in the interim. 

Options
2024-08-17 12:18:17
I'm also with Mike1722 on this - Please fix!!
Options
Saturday

@Riley_S 

I would think the dev team would be utilizing the Developer beta to make sure the app still is compatible with the latest release before its final release. As it stands I'll have no choice then to replace my devices for equipment that does integrate with iOS 18

Options
Monday - last edited Monday

@Riley_S full ios 18 release is out now. any news?

widgets have been common for years now so hopefully WidgetKit can be used as will be replacing devices if a widget can't be added to the homescreen properly like with all other smart apps

Options
Tuesday

Just wanted to point out that now iOS 18 has been officially released, and I upgraded to it not knowing that it was going to do away with support for legacy widgets. Not having access to Kasa in my widgets is super annoying as others have noted. I hope the app really will be updated soon to add support for widgets using the newer variety.

Options
Tuesday

Hi All, 

just wanted to let people that are unaware know that the tapo app has been updated and widgets have returned using the new widgets. 

app version 3.7.103

Options
Tuesday

@Rbpy1 Thanks for this. But I guess not the Kasa app? Or can I use the Tapo app instead of the Kasa app I've used for the past few years?

Options
Tuesday

@DanielSD Hey Daniel, all of my kasa devices appear to work perfectly with the Tapo app. it seems the kasa app is slowly being phased out in my opinion! 

Options
Tuesday

@Riley_S 

Installed ios18 and lost Kasa widget capability. Any chance this will be corrected in the future. 

Options

Voters 7

+ 3 Voters

Tags

TP-Link Tapo iOS App