TL-R470T+ Policy Based Routing Guidance?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-01 18:26:41 - last edited 2021-04-20 11:14:20

Hello

First post here. I use a number of TP-Link products, including the Deco M5's. I live in a rural location with poor fixed line broadband. I have faster, but bandwidth limited 4G based mobile broadband. I also have children who like the faster 4G based broadband and so consume the available 4G based bandwidth streaming funny cat videos ;-)

I came across the TL-R470T+ quite by accident and wonder whether I might be able to install one to use Policy Based Routing to send traffic to appropriate broadband connections? What I think I need to achieve is something like:

ADSL Broadband --------|                                                                                          | User 1

|                                                                                           | User 2

|---------- TL-R470T+ -----------|-------------- Deco M5 --------- | User 3

|                                                                                           | User 4

4G Broadband -----------|                                                                                           | User 5

| User Etc, Etc

I understand that I can use the TL-R470T+ to implement failover routing. However, what I actually want to do here is to allow all users on the right hand side to be able to use the faster but usage capped 4G Broadband by default and route certain types of high bandwidth demanding traffic over the slower but uncapped ADSL broadband. For exampe, all YouTube, Netflix, Prime Video, Spotify traffic should always go via the ADSL Broadband.

Additionally, it would be useful to route Users who exceed a "fair use" bandwidth to the ADSL Broadband until the next day/week..

Is the above, or something similar, feasible with the TL-R470T+? Any helpful documentation/guidance I might look at for implementation ideas?

Options
2 Reply
Re:TL-R470T+ Policy Based Routing Guidance?
2019-01-02 10:01:53 - last edited 2021-04-20 11:14:20

PeterO wrote

Hello

First post here. I use a number of TP-Link products, including the Deco M5's. I live in a rural location with poor fixed line broadband. I have faster, but bandwidth limited 4G based mobile broadband. I also have children who like the faster 4G based broadband and so consume the available 4G based bandwidth streaming funny cat videos ;-)

I came across the TL-R470T+ quite by accident and wonder whether I might be able to install one to use Policy Based Routing to send traffic to appropriate broadband connections? What I think I need to achieve is something like:

ADSL Broadband --------|                                                                                          | User 1

|                                                                                           | User 2

|---------- TL-R470T+ -----------|-------------- Deco M5 --------- | User 3

|                                                                                           | User 4

4G Broadband -----------|                                                                                           | User 5

| User Etc, Etc

I understand that I can use the TL-R470T+ to implement failover routing. However, what I actually want to do here is to allow all users on the right hand side to be able to use the faster but usage capped 4G Broadband by default and route certain types of high bandwidth demanding traffic over the slower but uncapped ADSL broadband. For exampe, all YouTube, Netflix, Prime Video, Spotify traffic should always go via the ADSL Broadband.

Additionally, it would be useful to route Users who exceed a "fair use" bandwidth to the ADSL Broadband until the next day/week..

Is the above, or something similar, feasible with the TL-R470T+? Any helpful documentation/guidance I might look at for implementation ideas?

Hi Peter

I think it's hard to identify the traffic of YouTube, Netflix and so on. So maybe policy routing cannot meet your requirements. 

I think you can let all your devices go thorugh 4G and set up the Effective Time and set up the bandwidth control or rate limiting to limite the speed.

Options
Re:Re:TL-R470T+ Policy Based Routing Guidance?
2019-01-03 11:28:32 - last edited 2021-04-20 11:14:20

Thank you for the respone. This is much as I read the guidance. The RL-R470T+ looks an amazingly impressive piece of kit retailing at less than £40 here in the UK. I didn't think it would be able to do URL policy based routring at the price point. I guess I will need to save my pennies for a more expensive/capable device.

Peter

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1049

Replies: 2

Related Articles