Can a 2nd AC1200 Wireless Access Point (EAP225-outdoor) be connected to the 1st wirelessly?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can a 2nd AC1200 Wireless Access Point (EAP225-outdoor) be connected to the 1st wirelessly?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-06 14:05:37 - last edited 2019-08-07 06:17:15
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.1 Build 20181107 Rel. 35628(4555)

I have two EAP225-outdoor units. The first is installed and wired directly into my router via a cat7 cable.

I am trying to attach the second unit wirelessly to the first to further extend my network outdoors. I wish to do this with the second unit acting as a repeater to the first.

I am unable to or don't know how to attach the second unit to the first unit without additional wires, can this be achieved and if so how do I do it, please?

Options
8 Reply
Re:Can a 2nd AC1200 Wireless Access Point (EAP225-outdoor) be connected to the 1st wirelessly?
2019-08-07 09:10:37

Well TP-LINK

I've asked a few questions regarding these units and guess how many replies I've had from TP - ZILCH, NONE not even a "busy" message will answer later?

If you can't support your customers we shouldn't be buying them.

I'm going to send these back and buy another product from another supplier, one that replies and is helpful within 24 hours of receiving my queries.

GOOD BYEE

Options
Re:Re:Can a 2nd AC1200 Wireless Access Point (EAP225-outdoor) be connected to the 1st wirelessly?
2019-08-07 09:36:02 - last edited 2019-08-07 09:36:29

Yes, I can feel your frustration too about support that is not given in a timely manner.

But coming back to your request. Yes you can achieve this by using the Omada Controller and activating the Mesh feature. Then you can deploy the second Eap wirelessly (it just needs power).

Options
Re:Re:Re:Can a 2nd AC1200 Wireless Access Point (EAP225-outdoor) be connected to the 1st wirelessly?
2019-08-07 11:31:21

Hello;

Thank you.

I've downloaded the Omada controller but i'm totally unfamiliar with it. when I launch it, it appears to "hang" with the timer or activity continuously going round and round endlessly.

Also, I do not have a controller, only the latest BT router, some wifi disks and a cat-7 cable connecting to the first AC1200 (EAP225) wireless access point.

I've finally launched the Omada controller and it is asking for the controller name, which of course I do not have. What should I do?

Thanks

Bill

Options
Re: Can a 2nd AC1200 Wireless Access Point (EAP225-outdoor) be connected to the 1st wirelessly?
2019-08-07 12:15:30

Buddhabaker wrote

I've finally launched the Omada controller and it is asking for the controller name, which of course I do not have. What should I do?

You assign it a name, for example »MyController« or »Pemajunge« or »Buddha«. This is the first step of the setup wizard, just follow the instructions.

BTW, there is a fine manual available, which explains how to set up and use the controller. You need to run the controller to be able to deploy a meshed network, which is what you will use to wirelessly connect two or more EAP225-Outdoor.

Also make sure to update the firmware of your EAPs.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Can a 2nd AC1200 Wireless Access Point (EAP225-outdoor) be connected to the 1st wirelessly?
2019-08-07 12:26:45

Ok Bill, step by step (remind me to send an invoice to TP Link for the support hours :-))

1. After successful installation of the Controller software a pop-up window apprears asking for a name (as you described). You can leave the name as diplayed by default or add your name to resonalize it (i.e. Omada Controller_Bill).

2. Click Next and set-up your administrator account (select a unser name and password).

3. Click Next and select the device you want to configure (your 1st EAP wired to your router your switch).

4. Click Next and define your WLAN Network (enter your wanted SSID and a WLAN password) 

5. You ca skip the cloud access page (unless you want to use that feature to have access to your controller at any time)

6. Then, click Finish.

You are almost done now.

As a side note: Go to the configution menu of your router and set the EAP to always get the same IP adress assiged (static IP).

To set-up your second EAP:

Important: If you want to use the Mesh feature and connect the second EAP wirelessly your Omada Controller software has to run permanently on your PC and the PC has to be connected all the time to your network (router or switch). I personally have set up an old Netbook as my Controller device. Alternatively you can buy the OC200 controller from TP-Link and have it permanently conntected to your network.

1. Log-in to the controller (through your web browser) by using your administrator credentials (as set in step 2 of the initial controller set-up).

2. Go to Wireless Settings > Mesh

3.  Check the box to enable the Mesh function.

4. Connectivity Detection: Auto; Full Sector DFS: Enable

5.  Important: Click Apply!

6. Power-up the second EAP (and wait a few minutes till it boots up)

7. Go to Access Points > Pending (in your Omanda Controller)

8. The second EAP shoudl appear as status "Pending - wireless"

9. Click Adopt and the connection shoudl be established.

If you are still uncertrain then you follow the spets again the official Omada Guide: https://static.tp-link.com/2019/201907/20190708/1910012624-Omada%20Controler-3.2.1-UG.pdf

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Can a 2nd AC1200 Wireless Access Point (EAP225-outdoor) be connected to the 1st wirelessly?
2019-08-07 16:37:23

Hello;

just a quick note to say "THANK YOU".

I now have both EAP's working as expected, I just wish that TP-LINK's own staff had responded sooner, it would have saved a lot of frustration.

When you go onto their web site to download the software you look at each page full of links to download stuff. People forget that when you don't know what's needed and you're unfamiliar with what's required then you go slowly and often make mistakes.

What would be helpful is a number of "How to" cards that lead you step by step through each process to achieve a successful outcome.

As you say, you're doing a lot of this for free for TP-LINK when they should be thinking of what the user needs to successfully implement their kit with the minimum of frustration.

Hope this helps?

Once again, thank you. You have saved their sales as I had already organised their return back to Amazon.

Bill

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Can a 2nd AC1200 Wireless Access Point (EAP225-outdoor) be connected to the 1st wirelessly?
2020-10-15 16:39:27

@Powerauditor I realize that this is a fairly old thread but I couldn't find the specific answer I was looking for which is an extension of the question you answered here: > Can I connect a third EAP225 to the second one wirelessly and use the ethernet port to connect to a switch to which I have my client (security cameras) connected.

Many thanks

Options
2020-10-16 06:51:02

Dear @Martroe,

Welcome to TP-Link Community. 

I realize that this is a fairly old thread but I couldn't find the specific answer I was looking for which is an extension of the question you answered here: > Can I connect a third EAP225 to the second one wirelessly and use the ethernet port to connect to a switch to which I have my client (security cameras) connected.

It's possible on the EAP with mesh feature enabled. The setup could be:

Router ----- EAP225-Outdoor )))((( 2nd EAP225-Outdoor )))((( 3rd EAP225-Outdoor ----- switch ----- wired clients.

The additional answer can be also found in this recent thread, https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/231244

BTW, please feel free to start a new thread when you cannot find an answer you are looking for.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4873

Replies: 8

Related Articles