What are these hidden networks and how to get rid of them

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-07 14:06:12 - last edited 2021-11-10 07:08:38
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 20190821 Rel 54023

Installed my 3 Deco 9 Plus, configured them as AP mode, and connected back to my Cisco switch for the ethernet backhaul.  I have a tool call WIFI Explorer to check my signal strengths of the WIF in the house.  I noticed these hidden networks which is using the same configuration as my Deco.  How do I get rid of them?  The error I 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:What are these hidden networks and how to get rid of them-Solution
2021-03-31 10:52:19 - last edited 2021-11-10 07:08:38

@mac.k 

Hi, the hidden Wi-Fi could not be disabled currently;

For more details about the hidden SSID, please refer to this link: Found Archer C7 v5 or Archer A7 v5 is emitting hidden network

Wireless backhaul would not be active once the wired backhaul has been built up even though it still broadcasted the hidden wireless signal;

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:What are these hidden networks and how to get rid of them
2019-12-08 15:34:59

@MR_GQ it's how the decos connect to each other to create the mesh network, you need them so can't switch them off as far as I am aware.

Options
2021-03-29 13:16:11

@timp78 Are the hidden networks needed also when using Ethernet - wired backhaul for nodes communication. If hidden are not required in such a case then how to disable them ?

Options
Re:What are these hidden networks and how to get rid of them-Solution
2021-03-31 10:52:19 - last edited 2021-11-10 07:08:38

@mac.k 

Hi, the hidden Wi-Fi could not be disabled currently;

For more details about the hidden SSID, please refer to this link: Found Archer C7 v5 or Archer A7 v5 is emitting hidden network

Wireless backhaul would not be active once the wired backhaul has been built up even though it still broadcasted the hidden wireless signal;

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-07-27 10:31:10
Why do you need them to be disabled?
Options
2021-07-27 13:51:22
I was looking to disable them because it was causing errors as I shown above (too large network, overlapping channels and etc). Was having issues and saw these errors as maybe a cause of the problem.
Options
2021-11-09 20:36:03

@MR_GQ 

I am experiencing the same issues. My Deco system is broadcasting hidden SSID signals that are interfereing with each other and the connection is totally unstable. 

Tyied everything.

Losing hope.

Options
2021-11-10 07:13:43

@Wurzel 

Hi, the hidden SSID would not interfere with the main network and no devices would be able to connect this network.

So I am afraid your current unstable connection is caused by something else.

If you do not mind, please try to start a new thread with more details about your unstable issue, like

1. Would any of your Deco turn red when the internet dropped?

2. if the Deco stays white, would the clients still be able to hold the IP address, but no internet service, or do they even fail to get an IP address from Deco?

3. How did you restore the connection if the internet dropped out?

Thank you very much.

Options
2022-05-03 20:19:06

@TP-Link 

This article is listed as having a recommended solution, but it only directs us to a further article which does not provide an eventual answer.

Please be clear on:

1) Which TP-Link devices are transmitting Hidden SSID by default. 

2) Why they are doing this - ie - OneMesh or DecoMesh network support or something else.

3) Is it possible to turn this off (like what is referred to in the linked thread).

The explaination on the other thread says "So please be assured of it, it is used to build up the one mesh network. Not a bug.". Which doesn't help at all, especially when further down one user states that they had a firmware update which now lets them turn OneMesh off.  To add this ability means that some team at TP-Link felt is was a big enough problem (therefore a bug) to provide a solution.

The conern raise by others is that the radio resources used by the hidden SSID, especially when not being used in a Mesh netowrk, are using up available CPU resources and degrading the 'best' performance that a user could potentially get from their device.  Can you please confirm this is the case?  Nobody from TP-Link on the other thread you link to either confirmed or denied this - so the article still seems to be unanswered.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 12219

Replies: 7

Related Articles