Using different SSID for 2.5GHz

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-11 20:31:45
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

I've just set up my Deco P9. It seems I can't set up a different SSID for 2.5GHz vs 5GHz Wi-Fi. Is this really true?

Options
10 Reply
Re:Using different SSID for 2.5GHz
2020-01-13 07:55:53

@samwardill 

Hello, to build the mesh network, the 2.4GHz and 5GHz use the same SSID and password, no option to make them separate from each other. 

May I know why do you need to setup different SSID for them? 

As a workaround, you can enable guest network and give it a different wifi network name.

Good day. 

Options
2020-01-18 08:07:48

@Kevin_Z It is a well known use case to need different SSID for 5GHz & 2.5GHz . See https://www.tech21century.com/separate-ssid-for-2-4-and-5-ghz-on-orbi/ (albeit the article is about an Orbi). It is often needed when using smart plugs. I have some brand new smart plugs that will not connect reliably with my Deco

Options
2020-01-18 08:15:49

@Kevin_Z I don't think guest newtork will work because I can't make it 2.5GHz. Can I?

Also I can't really use a Guest Network for smart plugs.

Options
2020-01-18 15:57:39

@samwardill It is possible to enable only the 2.4 band on the networks so, Kevin's suggestion is that you enable the Guest network and, then, only enable the 2.4 band on it so, the smart stuff can be configured on the guest network and will automatically be using the 2.4 band with no interference from the 5.0 band..

I have no experience with smart stuff but, issue is that, if you need to control these items with your phone, said phone will need to be switched to the guest network when you want to control them and, switched back to the main network if you need to access things on it (like NAS or Printer)

Options
2020-01-18 20:38:59

@TheClerk  you can't make mine 2.5ghz only . I have p9

Options
2020-01-19 02:18:51

@samwardill 

Thanks for your reply. The Deco P9 does not support separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz guest network and some other features, like mesh technology, the new firmware will be released soon.

Back to your case, for the smart stuff, most of them support 2.4GHz only, while in my opinion, the devices which support single band can connect to the specific wifi band only, which is to say, the smart stuff won't connect to the 5GHz. 

Considering the connection is not reliable, you can disable fast roaming feature under more-advanced page to give it a go. 

May it help. 

Options
2020-01-19 07:34:40

@Kevin_Z Fast roaming was never turned on with my Deco

Options
2020-02-20 14:46:34
When will the firmware be released?
Options
2020-07-30 08:24:54

@Kevin_Z I would like to know for some clarrification in my company network most of devices get connected only in the 5G band very few devices are connected in the 2.4G band. If in this case the M9 plus can give continue internet with maximum banwidth? because I got an issue every day for droping wifi and internet issue please give some suggestion for this issue.

Thank you 

Parthi

Options
2021-01-05 18:42:06

@Kevin_Z This causes issues with some devices - for example HomePod Stereo Pairs. There is no way to control which frequency they join. Using the Guest Network to seperate out frequencies doesn't work. Many HomeKit devices only work on 2.4 GHZ and require being on the same network. The Guest Network is firewalled off from accessing network resources on the main network, right? Isnt the point of the Guest Network. 

Please stop ignoring all the requests to have seperate SSIDs for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. The X60 are otherwise great. Would be a shame to have to return them over this solvable issue. I'm sure many already have. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 5469

Replies: 10

Related Articles