EAP225 deployed in mesh (residential application) advices/recommendations

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

EAP225 deployed in mesh (residential application) advices/recommendations

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
35 Reply
Re:EAP225 deployed in mesh (residential application) advices/recommendations
2020-06-16 14:27:20

Hi @SimonC,

So like a "transfer duct" then.  The code relates to the potential for noxious fumes and fire spread inside of the duct from room to room from the burning plastic.  So it's had to say.

Re: outside to the attic.  I've considered doing something similar.  It is a longer run, but my thought was to put a PoE switch in the attic anyway so as long as the run from the "office/basement" router/switch to the attic PoE swtich was <100m you'd be good.  Of course, I have electric in my attic already.

But which ever is easier.  Fortunately my coverage is good enough with just the two indoor EAP's where I have them (one on MOCA).  I use MOCA a lot for my Entertainent centers / game centers, etc. when Ethernet isn't practical.  It works really well and keeps a lot of the streaming traffic off of the Wifi.  And the kids get good latencies -- not quite as good as Ethernet, but better than Wifi.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-07-10 23:40:48

I haven't run my ethernet cable yet to my 2nd floor EAP225 AP because of lack of time, but I finally moved both my root AP (in the basement) and the 2nd floor mesh AP from a few inches and I get a better signal a bit, a stable -62 to -64 dBm which is not bad for the bandwidth, but I am still planning to run the ethernet cable very soon to get the maximum bandwidth possible.

However I have another issue in the meantime. Since I am working from home for a while now (and for the next few months at least), I am often working outside on my deck with my laptop. When I am on my outdoor deck, my laptop connect to the 2nd floor AP since the other AP is it the basement. However it can't connect to the 5 Ghz network to any of my 2 AP's. I have 100% strong 2.4 Ghz signal, but no 5 Ghz signal (well, too weak) pass throught the wall of my house apparently.

Since I am working in IT on pretty bandwidth consumming applications, I would like a faster signal outside. One idea I have will be to install an EAP225-Outdoor AP on the wall of my house... I can easily run an ethernet cable throught the wall for that. However my only concern is about the proximity with other APs... since my house is pretty narrow (27x27 feet, two stories), in a straight line perspective, the outdoor AP would be installed at like 16-17 feet away from others AP, but separated by the exterior wall as well... is this could cause any problem?

Options
2020-07-11 08:05:01 - last edited 2020-07-11 08:06:56

SimonC. wrote

the outdoor AP would be installed at like 16-17 feet away from others AP, but separated by the exterior wall as well... is this could cause any problem?

Not likely. First, if you use only one or the other EAP at the same time for bandwidth-intense applications, there will be not much interferences at all. Second, with wired EAPs you can decrease their signal level somewhat to avoid such interferences even if both EAPs are under load, but this requires wired EAPs, not meshed ones, since a lower signal level of a mesh node can cause other issues.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-07-13 13:18:56 - last edited 2020-07-13 13:20:45

R1D2 wrote

SimonC. wrote

the outdoor AP would be installed at like 16-17 feet away from others AP, but separated by the exterior wall as well... is this could cause any problem?

Not likely. First, if you use only one or the other EAP at the same time for bandwidth-intense applications, there will be not much interferences at all. Second, with wired EAPs you can decrease their signal level somewhat to avoid such interferences even if both EAPs are under load, but this requires wired EAPs, not meshed ones, since a lower signal level of a mesh node can cause other issues.

I just thought that my patio is 22 feet long (therefore, the farthest point is 22 feet away from the exterior wall of my house), so instead of mouting the EAP225-Outdoor AP on the wall of my house, I could run an ethernet cable (exterior grade as well) under the patio (not visible and not exposed to weather) and then install an EAP225-Outdoor AP on a existing pole at the very end of my patio. This way, the AP would be located at roughly 40 feet from the indoor EAP225 AP and it would still give me a full and strong 5 Ghz coverage on my patio and probably a great portion of my 1 acre land. What do you think about that?

Options
2020-07-13 15:56:40

SimonC. wrote

This way, the AP would be located at roughly 40 feet from the indoor EAP225 AP and it would still give me a full and strong 5 Ghz coverage on my patio and probably a great portion of my 1 acre land. What do you think about that?

Sounds good. Anyway, I would try it first w/o deploying the cable in its final destination, so I could find the optimal distance by trial and error. Air is an obstacle for microwaves, too, and with increasing distance the signal will become more attenuated.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Related Articles