[SECURITY] Over 100 Wi-Fi routers fail major security test. TP Link routers included

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

[SECURITY] Over 100 Wi-Fi routers fail major security test. TP Link routers included

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-09 12:20:26 - last edited 2022-02-17 08:23:28
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.8 Build 20200426 rel.65338

So I saw these article, exposing how hundreds of routers are vulnerable to simple security related threads.

I searched for my AX50 model and it seems it was tested on the "experiment".

I would like to know what measures are being taken by tp link in order to fix these, also, if the hard-coded keys are leakable on this router model/firmware (and if they can be updated/fixed), and what measures can be taken by common users to mitigate possible security attacks.

On my side, I have already disabled UPnP, I use long strong not default passwords, remote management is disabled, fimware is always up-to-date and I use a MAC filter (don't know if these makes any difference tbh)

Link to the article:

Over 100 Wi-Fi routers fail major security test — protect yourself now

By Paul Wagenseil 2 days ago

Every single one of 117 routers from seven well-known brands, including Netgear, D-Link, Linksys and TP-Link, had serious security flaws, a report finds.

https://www.tomsguide.com/uk/news/fraunhofer-router-security-report

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:[SECURITY] Over 100 Wi-Fi routers fail major security test. TP Link routers included-Solution
2022-02-17 08:23:22 - last edited 2022-02-17 08:23:28

gdc873 wrote

@Kevin_Z 

Any update on the claims? I am concern and would like to know if my router is still safe to use

Hello @gdc873, thank you very much for asking in the community forum.

We attach great importance to security feedback and we haven't got any notice that Archer AX50 is affected. For any other security concerns, we suggest sending security feedback at the below:
https://www.tp-link.com/en/press/security-advisory/

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:[SECURITY] Over 100 Wi-Fi routers fail major security test. TP Link routers included
2020-07-09 15:49:15

@Zapahacks 

For individuals considering new router or current router owner, I recommend visiting OpenWRT or DD-WRT websites and review if the router is compatible with either of these open source firmware. It is unfortunate, that not all routers are on the compatibility list.

Options
Re:[SECURITY] Over 100 Wi-Fi routers fail major security test. TP Link routers included
2020-07-22 06:15:26

@Zapahacks 

Hello, sorry to respond late.

We are checking these resources and update here soon.

Have a nice day.

Options
2022-02-17 02:31:25

@Kevin_Z 

Any update on the claims? I am concern and would like to know if my router is still safe to use

Options
Re:[SECURITY] Over 100 Wi-Fi routers fail major security test. TP Link routers included-Solution
2022-02-17 08:23:22 - last edited 2022-02-17 08:23:28

gdc873 wrote

@Kevin_Z 

Hello @gdc873, thank you very much for asking in the community forum.

We attach great importance to security feedback and we haven't got any notice that Archer AX50 is affected. For any other security concerns, we suggest sending security feedback at the below:
https://www.tp-link.com/en/press/security-advisory/

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1299

Replies: 4

Related Articles