my remote p9 unit does not broadcast 2.4 ghz signal.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-21 00:09:19 - last edited 2020-08-27 03:32:55
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0

Note that the model is Deco p9, not Adaptor, but the webpage will not let me select the correct model.

I have a Deco p9 kit with one main unit and a single remote unit (I am not using the 3rd at present).

They are configured in AP mode and both have the latest firmware.

The remote unit does not appear to broadcast on 2.4 ghz which is a problem as my printer does not support 5 ghz.

The main unit does broadcast in both 2.4 & 5 ghz.

Any ideas?

I previously had a Deco p9 kit (which was bricked by a firmware upgrade), this is my second kit.
The previous kit did broadcast 2.4 ghz (and my printer worked fine).

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:my remote p9 unit does not broadcast 2.4 ghz signal.-Solution
2020-08-21 18:21:28 - last edited 2020-08-27 03:32:55

In case anyone cares, the following seems to be a workaround. 

1. I turned off 5 Ghz (More->Wi-Fi Settings and slide 5Ghz).
  2. I rebooted the main Deco.
  3. I turned 5 Ghz back on (and waited a few mins.)

As an aside, my remote Deco (I have just one connected presently) previously indicated

that the Signal Source was power line & 5Ghz. After the above it shows 2.4Ghz/5Ghz,

the power line has disappeared. However, speeds are adequate so this is not an issue

now.

This seems like a potentially good product marred by lack of real world testing and a

lack of functional support. Similar story with a Tp-Link switch & the nano routers, when

they work the are great (& cheap) but if not, you are truly on your own.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:my remote p9 unit does not broadcast 2.4 ghz signal.
2020-08-21 16:40:05

Are there any diagnostics that I can run?

Previous experience with Tp_Link support has been unhelpful. I am hoping the Forum's might have some better info.

I have 40+ years experience in the Unix/embedded world, just need a hint to start investigating. Suggestions appreciated.

I would prefer to solve this issue as I don't really want to buy a 3rd mesh system.

Options
Re:my remote p9 unit does not broadcast 2.4 ghz signal.-Solution
2020-08-21 18:21:28 - last edited 2020-08-27 03:32:55

In case anyone cares, the following seems to be a workaround. 

1. I turned off 5 Ghz (More->Wi-Fi Settings and slide 5Ghz).
  2. I rebooted the main Deco.
  3. I turned 5 Ghz back on (and waited a few mins.)

As an aside, my remote Deco (I have just one connected presently) previously indicated

that the Signal Source was power line & 5Ghz. After the above it shows 2.4Ghz/5Ghz,

the power line has disappeared. However, speeds are adequate so this is not an issue

now.

This seems like a potentially good product marred by lack of real world testing and a

lack of functional support. Similar story with a Tp-Link switch & the nano routers, when

they work the are great (& cheap) but if not, you are truly on your own.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-08-27 03:32:50

@JoeHiggins 

Hello, thanks for sharing this workaround and apologies for the late reply.

There might be something wrong previously when the satellite Deco P9 doesn't broadcast the 2.4GHz wireless successfully, but we actually don't think it has much to do with the backhaul connection between the two. What might be helpful is the reboot of the main Deco, which may fix some errors in the system.

Please monitor the performance and let us know if there is still an issue, good days.

Options
2020-08-27 06:24:41

@TP-Link_Deco Thanks. Initially I did try rebooting all my Deco units (even resetting and reconfiguring) but the problem persisted.

Options
2020-08-27 09:40:46

@JoeHiggins 

Hi, am I misunderstanding your previous post? I thought this issue was fixed by reboot the main Deco P9.

If the remote P9 doesn't broadcast 2.4GHz signal after a reset and reconfiguration, it is suggested to contact the reseller to replace it.

Sorry about that.

Options
2020-08-27 16:30:10 - last edited 2020-08-27 16:34:26

@TP-Link_Deco A reboot alone was not enough. I had to switch off 5Ghz, then reboot and then switch 5 Ghz back on.

So, if we have a power outage, my 2.4 Ghz dies again. Not fun when you are 10,000 km away and trying to reach your data :-(.

This is my second kit in a few months. I have 3 units but only use 2. I tried all 6 possiblities of main/remote but get the same behaviour.I doubt that this is a hardware issue.

It is good for now, but I am looking for a more reliable solution.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 756

Replies: 6

Related Articles