Deco M5 Wifi Signal Problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-25 06:45:25 - last edited 2021-10-12 02:55:48
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20201022 Rel. 66804

Greetings,

I have a problem with my Deco M5 (bought only 1 device), there is a wifi connectivity issue it drops significantly and my smartphone recognize poor wifi also tried connecting my PC and it shows 1 bar only, tried to turn on and off 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz giving the same result is this defective?

Note:
• Only bought 1 deco so this is not mesh setup.

• We already have Deco E4 Mesh System but it has a different network and ISP.
• LAN seems working only Wifi connectivity/signal have the problem.
• Tried 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz one by one and problem still there.
• Tried to reset and setup again it is showing the same problem.
• Tried it with multiple device and it is showing the same problem.
• Updated the firmware to the latest version from stock and it is showing the same problem.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M5 Wifi Signal Problem-Solution
2021-07-26 07:20:49 - last edited 2021-10-12 02:55:48

@ben0101 

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

Could you please help me run a simple test:

1. put one satellite Deco  a few steps where the mobile devices have a weak signal;

2. then check the signal source on the satellite Deco—please save a picture of the signal source strengthen;

Note: please also add the exact distance and how many wars in between, concrete walls or something else?

Recommended Solution
Options
14 Reply
Re:Deco M5 Wifi Signal Problem
2021-02-07 06:09:25

@MemoryEXE 

Hi, sorry for the long delay.

Did you still have the same issue?

--if yes, have you tried to reset the Deco to see if there is any difference?

And if possible, please try to use the Wi-Fi analyzer to detect the wireless strengthen of the Deco as well;

By the way, may I know how long have you had the Deco and when did this issue start?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-07-23 07:31:46

@TP-Link I also have the same problem, wifi signal significantly drops after a few steps away from the Deco M5.

Day 1 experience is good, no problem encountered and its easy to setup, updated the firmware to latest version.

Day 2 is where the problem starts, wifi signal suddenly drops on all our devices and I need to be near the Deco to connect to its wifi. Tried resetting the Deco and still no change, very weak wifi signal. 

What should I do to fix my deco m5? Resetting, changing the broadcast frequency to 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz doesn't fix the problem. Wifi analyzer rates my wifi signal as fair even though I'm beside the Deco.

Options
Re:Deco M5 Wifi Signal Problem-Solution
2021-07-26 07:20:49 - last edited 2021-10-12 02:55:48

@ben0101 

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

Could you please help me run a simple test:

1. put one satellite Deco  a few steps where the mobile devices have a weak signal;

2. then check the signal source on the satellite Deco—please save a picture of the signal source strengthen;

Note: please also add the exact distance and how many wars in between, concrete walls or something else?

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-10-12 00:18:04

@TP-Link I purchased 3x m5 units and have the same problem. I suspect that some deco units simply have faulty inferior wifi chips.

I tested each deco seperately solo, setup as the main deco, plugged in directly to my router.

The unit that was not faulty had a good wifi range across 2.5 rooms up and downstairs through concrete.

The other two units sadly was patchy at best within 3-5 meters in the same room, using the same setup.

Unfortunately I can no longer return the 2 faulty decos, as I missed that window with the seller.

I think the next step would be to tinker with the hardware itself, what do you recommend?

Options
2021-10-12 03:03:23

@sporting 

Did you also test three Deco units separately on the same location?

If it is the same, I had the same feeling about the hardware and you could contact the local service center for warranty service:

https://www.tp-link.com/ph/support/contact-technical-support/#Hotline-Support 

Options
2022-01-07 20:08:54

@TP-Link 

Even i am facing exactly the same issue with my M5. I updated my M5 firmware to 1.5.7 build: 20210819.

The M5 worked fine on the day one. But starting day two, the wifi signal got so weak that i couldn't connect to it even a few steps away from it.

I turned off all WiFi devices in my house including the satelite and tried to connect to the main M5, but no luck.

I got it just 2 days back.

Is it a known.issue?

Options
2022-01-11 07:21:42

@ganeshr 

Hi, could you please switch to a different Deco as the main Deco to have a look:

How to Setup the Satellite Deco to be the Main Deco?

At the same time, could you please help me run a simple test:

1. enable the guest network for 2.4ghz only with a different SSID; then turn off the 2.4ghz on the main Deco.

2. check the signal strength on both the main network and guest network to see whether both networks have a weak signal.

Options
2022-01-17 19:32:15

Hi Team,

I have also same signal issue on my single Deco M5. It's working only very near to the deco M5. Is there any issues with latest firmware update. Please help to resolve the reported issue

Options
2022-01-17 19:33:59

@TP-Link I done all the steps mentioned the above and nothing worked for me. I reset the Deco and change 2.5 G as suggested.restarted etc

Options
2022-01-17 19:42:56

Firmware details

File:
BE7E085B-D62D-4163-B8FB-16C89BE7E1CB.jpegDownload
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3210

Replies: 14

Related Articles