Deco M5 source signal selectable?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-19 07:42:20 - last edited 2020-09-21 09:35:28
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.1

Is there an optimize command from the Deco App so that Deco slave units find their best signal source?

Is the signal source for slave decos selectable from the Deco App?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M5 source signal selectable?-Solution
2021-08-24 03:09:40 - last edited 2022-12-15 01:33:40

Yes, Deco M5 supports customizing signal sources.

For more details, please refer to this link:

Deco M5 1.6.1

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
333 Reply
Re:Deco M5 source signal selectable?
2019-10-21 01:18:16 - last edited 2020-09-21 09:35:18

@MackPhoenix62 

Hello, sorry to tell you that the singal source for specific Deco is not selectable yet, it will find the signal source automatically.

While we have noted that and will keep an eye on the similar feedbacks. Then we can remind our product engineer and they can work on it. 

You can wait for the updates on official website. 

Best regards. 

Options
2019-12-24 03:18:27

@Kevin_Z Hi , i found that my third deco m5 keep connect to main deco with weak wifi signal , while my second deco actually at the middle of both , i try to connect my third deco to second deco but dun know how , is that suppose to connect to second deco automatically or actually all sub deco must connect to main deco?

Options
2019-12-25 02:58:31

@Eric_Yong 

Hello, the singal source is not selectable right now, the Deco connects to the front-end device automatically based on the signal strength. From what you mentioned, it seems that the signal the third Deco get from the main one does not reach the threshold value, therefore, it failed to trigger the AP steering. 

You can move them further away from each other. And you can reboot the third Deco and verify whether it will connect to the 2nd one. 

May it help. 

Options
2020-04-03 07:05:43

@Kevin_Z 

Hello,

I connected my slave Deco with Ethernet cable to the main Deco and it still connect through the WiFi.

Shouldn't it prefer the cable connection?

Thanks.

Guy.

Options
2020-04-20 05:34:46

@Eric_Yong @Kevin_Z I have this same problem. The third Deco can make a weak connection to the base station, so conencts it there instead of connecting to the second Deco in the chain. If the third deco would connect to the second it would have a faster more robust connection. But, because it connects to the wrong unit, I have weak internet and poor reception from my third Deco. Rebooting the Deco only works until the third Deco sees the main Deco. As soon as it sees the main unit it re-establishes it's poor connection. It would be really helpful, and make for a better network, if we could manually configure which station each deco connects to. Please help us tp-link.

Options
2020-04-21 11:04:46

Yes, having exactly the same challenge :)

main deco front of the house (25 meter away from slave deco 2)

1st slave deco back of the house (13 meter away from solve deco 2)

2nd slace deco in the garage

It constantly keeps picking the signal from the main deco, having the signal indicator showing minimal signal in yellow...

Options
2020-04-26 14:08:34

I found a solution, 

1. in the deco app click on the globe icon (says internet)

2. click on the three dots column in the top right - select "Set Main Deco"

3. Choose the main deco to be the unit in the middle of your chain and click SAVE.

4. You will see a warning that says "make sure this deco is connected to your modem or ethrenet" - IGNORE IT even if your main unit is not connected to the internet it will still work.

All your units will now connect to the new "main Deco" that is in the middle of your netwrork regardless if this is the one that is physically conected to the internet. 

Options
2020-04-30 17:30:13

@Jack2222 

Nope, not gonna work anymore with this method.

The internet will only work with the Main Deco.

I feel about changing to any new devices if they support a select source signal.

If TP-link keep ignore us, they will just lose customers anyway.

Options
2020-04-30 21:08:40

@Bready 

Same problem here!

@tplink please fix issue! DECO P7

Options
2020-05-05 00:56:31

@MackPhoenix62 Same issue. This is crazy TP-Link. Figure this out or you are going to lose customers. You need to have a preferred (primary) unit for the Deco slaves. Doesn't make sense to have 3 units if the one that is the farthest away picks the worst signal to connect to. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 52

Views: 110565

Replies: 333

Related Articles