No internet access when connected to OpenVPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

No internet access when connected to OpenVPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
70 Reply
Re:No internet access when connected to OpenVPN
2022-04-21 03:19:00

@tuckerm sadly none yet. I think I did see that they might be working on it.

Options
2022-06-14 10:31:03 - last edited 2022-06-14 10:42:43

@joeri1

As all of you, I had the same issue with no internet after connecting to OpenVPN. Apparently it's the routing issue with networks other than those inside the router itself and did not find the way how to route or NAT VPN network.

What i did and work for me is to choose the same network for VPN clients as one used inside for LAN port. 

Net ID: 192.169.7.0/24

GW (ER605): 192.169.7.1/24

VPN pool: 192.169.7.0/27

The problem still remains that not all traffic is routed through VPN but this is another issue for other POSTS

Options
2022-07-07 13:09:43

Any update on this fix yet?

Options
2022-07-07 14:52:53 - last edited 2022-10-13 11:10:55

EDIT

Options
2022-07-28 21:16:41 - last edited 2022-07-28 21:41:34

@Fae  Has anyone had technical support, or anyone in TPLink, acknowledge this as a real issue (I have not read all 5 pages of the posts here!)?

I've been going around with business technical support on this for a few days now via email & they appear to have no clue about the problem.

Besides the newly acquired ER605, I have a TPLInk AC1750 and a TPLink AC4000, both of which can be OpenVPN servers. When I enable their servers, there is an option for clients to have either "Home Network Only" access, or "Internet and Home network" access. With "Home Network Only" chosen, I see exactly what my ER605 is doing, with "Internet and Home network", I see the behaviour I want and expect i.e. I can get out to the wider Internet via the OpenVPN connection.

Even the help available on these routers OpenVPN setup pages explains that the difference is in routing configuration rules. It seems clear that the ER605 is incapable of setting up the routing for "Internet and Home network", and doesn't even have that option.

(All my configuration has been via the device GUI; No Omada controllers invloved.)

[TP-Link Support]-[TKID220728109] smb callback + 16765009 + er605

Hardware Version:   ER605 v2.0
Firmware Version    2.0.0 Build 20220106 Rel.56391

p.s. I should add that the PPTP VPN server on the ER605 does not suffer from this problem: the problem is specific to the OpenVPN protocol.

Options
2022-07-28 23:59:25

@millerlite I just added at the very end of this thread earlier today, after much frustration with TPLink technical support, and confessed I had not read the entire thread.

I also said the very same thing you are showing here: my two consumer grade TPLink routers can do it correctly, with the option. Ironic frown

Options
2022-07-29 03:16:40 - last edited 2023-04-17 08:31:05

Dear @JsJh,

JsJh wrote

@Fae  Has anyone had technical support, or anyone in TPLink, acknowledge this as a real issue (I have not read all 5 pages of the posts here!)?

I've been going around with business technical support on this for a few days now via email & they appear to have no clue about the problem.

Besides the newly acquired ER605, I have a TPLInk AC1750 and a TPLink AC4000, both of which can be OpenVPN servers. When I enable their servers, there is an option for clients to have either "Home Network Only" access, or "Internet and Home network" access. With "Home Network Only" chosen, I see exactly what my ER605 is doing, with "Internet and Home network", I see the behaviour I want and expect i.e. I can get out to the wider Internet via the OpenVPN connection.

Even the help available on these routers OpenVPN setup pages explains that the difference is in routing configuration rules. It seems clear that the ER605 is incapable of setting up the routing for "Internet and Home network", and doesn't even have that option.

Sorry for any trouble caused. I'm afraid that the ER605 is only capable of the "Home Network Only" mode for the time being, which doesn't support the remote device to access the internet through the VPN Server with ER605. However, there is a plan to add the support for the "Internet and Home network" mode in the firmware adapted to Controller v5.8, let's stay tuned!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-07-29 04:26:25

@Fae Thank you! Can you please let TPLink technical support know as well? indecision I'm getting really tired of the email runaround as they try to convince me that I'm wrong/incompetent/dreaming/... no I was not impressed. I'd guess lots of the people who contributed here to the 5 or so pages worth of similar questions/complaints feel the same way.

I can't say I'm happy with this lack of functionality, specially when it is present in "lesser" TPLink routers I already own and would be so valuable (and was expected!), nor that you didn't give a firm date for the enhancement (though I understand why you cannot), but I am very happy indeed to get such a clear statement of the real situation, so thanks for that yes.

(If you need alpha/beta testers for this update, or others, I'd consider doing that: my ER605 is not in "production" use, and I have extensive software development experience. Let me know.)

Options
2022-07-29 07:27:32

Dear @JsJh,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I've reported your case to the TP-Link support team for high attention.

Regarding the alpha/beta test for this update, I'll keep an eye on it and post it in this thread when it's available.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-09-19 12:40:36

Dear @Fae 

It has been twenty months since this issue was raised with @TP-Link .

What is the current status?

When can we expect the functionality that is available with the products of your competition for a long time already?

Options
Related Articles