Basic Questions About EAP225-Outdoor In Mesh Mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-09 02:37:20
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.5.0.0

I'm trying to set up two EAP225-Outdoor access points in Mesh mode.  I installed the first one in stand alone mode.  It worked perfectly as expected.  Then I installed the browser based Omada Controller.  I adopted the first AP and it shows up on the list of devices.  I plugged in the 2nd AP, and it adopted and shows as connected.  

When I go to my notebook to make a wifi connection, I only see one access point - with the settings I made in stand alone mode for the first AP.  I don't see the 2nd AP in the list of wifi networks.  Do both AP's broadcast the same SSID and use the same wifi key as what I set up with the first AP?  Can I set a different SSID and key for the 2nd AP?  Is there a guide for setting up the devices in Mesh mode?

Thanks in advance,

TGraz

Options
4 Reply
Re:Basic Questions About EAP225-Outdoor In Mesh Mode
2021-02-09 14:55:19

@TomGraz 

Hey

As this is a mesh network it will appear as one SSID for all the devices, you wont see multiple copies of the same SSID

Mesh Networks all work as one larger network and from your perspective you will only see it as one, the nodes will talk amongst themselves to decide which one is best to serve you at that time. 

You can set up a second SSID for the other AP, however this would remove the "mesh" and go back to a standard 2x APs - Personally i would advise against this

Options
2021-02-09 20:11:53

@Philbert 

Thanks for replying.  I only see one SSID in mesh mode.  Is that 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz?  Do the devices do something like "load sharing" if one of the AP's gets too busy?

Sorry if the questions seem simple.  It's my first time playing with Mesh.

Thanks again,

Tom

Options
2021-02-09 23:16:20

@TomGraz 

Hey Again

Yeah no issue, hope this helps!

I only see one SSID in mesh mode.  Is that 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz? 

Its both in a matter of speaking.   The EAP has a thing called Band Steering, this will basically detect what is supported and best for the device and use that.   90% of time it will prefere to use the 5Ghz as its faster, but on occasion it will use the 2.4 if the wireless is congested or signal is weaker.     

From a user point of view this should be seamless and its easier than having 2x seperate SSIDs.

Do the devices do something like "load sharing" if one of the AP's gets too busy?

Yes it will.   Mesh devices all work as one network and therefore will determine the best way to handle clients.  If you move from one area to another it will 'roam' your connection between the different nodes.    In terms of load balancing, if the mesh feels you are better moved to another node due to traffic, signal, contention etc etc  it will likely do that for you without you knowing.

If you want to take this to the next level you could add a Controller (Software or OC200/300) and that would centrally manage all devices for you while providing a nice portal interface.

Options
2021-02-13 06:57:47

Dear @TomGraz,

The EAP mesh would use 5GHz for connection, you may check the 5G channel on the APs and ensure they are in the same range.

Similar discussion can be found HERE and HERE.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 658

Replies: 4

Related Articles