New EAP added to mesh but OC200 controller will not show channel or clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

New EAP added to mesh but OC200 controller will not show channel or clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
27 Reply
Re:New EAP added to mesh but OC200 controller will not show channel or clients
2022-01-13 23:02:38

@Philbert I'm guessing that the controller update will still allow the controller to see the APs even if they are not updated. I'll see then. Plan on getting to the job tomorrow morning.

Options
2022-01-14 20:39:04

@Philbert I saw the latest update. Unfortunately when I got onsite, I had forgotten how to access the controller!  The marina manager had not had visitors for a while and he just would not stop talking. Totally messed up my concentration, so I told him I would be back next week. I just couldn't think with him yacking away in the background!

Options
2022-01-14 23:01:52

@Byteguy 

Hey

Sorry slow reply, busy day here..

Yes the controller should see the device on the older firmware OK, however it may be missing some features till you update to the new firmware.  

I find that happens a lot here too, businesses have been so quiet during lockdown that they take any opportunity for a chat and really screw your schedule for the day  laugh

Options
2022-01-16 23:24:27

@Philbert Here's a question, basic as it may be.

I set up this network several years ago. Since I knew it could not be managed onsite, the whole thing was set up via Omada Cloud. That way I could monitor it from my location and the marina manager could watch it from her smart phone. I'm embarassed to say that I really can't remember the actual setup, but it has been working just fine until I installed an EAP225 outdoor with newer firmware.

I realize the setup can be done via the software or cloud. I'm thinking that if it's managed by cloud (as it is now), I'll have to log onto the controller that way, but from the actual network (me going there, plugging into their network and going from there).

Just reading all the stuff about it, I don't think I can have a cloud-based management and also software based.

Problem with experimenting is that I need to travel to the site (about 16 miles) to see if I'm right.

After all that rambling, what I am asking is if I can update the OC200 controller through the Omada Cloud if I am connected to the actual site network. If so, then I can export the settings, update the firmware, import the settings, and run the firmware updates on the remaining 7 APs.

Options
2022-01-17 19:53:41
OK--solved the problem. Just had to get my act together and remember what I had done. Good thing I have documentation of the thing. I'll let you know if I hit a road block.
Options
2022-01-17 22:33:57

@Byteguy 

Beat me to it then yes

Glad you got sorted ok, if you do get stuck then just drop a message here.  Its usually about this time I get 10 mins to reply!  lol

Options
2022-01-18 13:11:47 - last edited 2022-01-18 13:19:46

@Byteguy 

why would you take the controller 'out of the network'  to not interfer with the network while updating the controller ? 

ok , it's a mesh network so your controler does some faciliating , but take it out , this kinda defeats the purpose of the controller if you take it out for upgrading. 

I just backup my settings via the controller and update the controller,  for ap's I'm a bit more cautious , by doing 1 AP first and see what it gives  and then apply to more ap's 

to be clear  : I refer to point 7 in the thread in which you state you that intend.

Options
2022-01-18 15:42:37

@mehmeh Was just being paranoid, I suppose. You know, Murphy's Law................

Options
2022-01-21 01:59:22

@Philbert Gets interesting. I managed to log onto the controller and updated it to v. 1.14, I believe. Before I did that, I backed up the controller. Before I updated it, it asked me to back it up so I said "go ahead." So now I had 2 backups. What could go wrong?

After I got it updated, I was amazed at the difference in the control interface. What a difference. I looked around and found where I could restore from the backup. Well, tried to restore and trying with either backup, I got a failure saying it couldn't use that file (can't remember the exact reason). Bad file or some such thing.

So--now I have a spiffy interface that shows no devices or APs adopted. I can see the list of APs but each say they are managed by someone else.

I tried to adopt one and it failed. I had a bout of anxiety there, but when I go to the cloud control, I see all the APs online and the mesh is working. As soon as I tell it to launch, I get the new interface with no devices and no APs. But the mesh is working!

The new interface tells me there are Association failures: 1) association timeout 2) Blocked by Access Control, and 3) WPA Authentiation Timeout/Failure.

The log shows that it thinks I have failed to log into the controller.

Sort of at a loss here. And it's getting late. Gonna pack it in for the evening.

Options
2022-01-21 17:21:01

@Byteguy 

Hey 

Lot to digest there, hopefully have some answers for you!

Well, tried to restore and trying with either backup, I got a failure saying it couldn't use that file (can't remember the exact reason). Bad file or some such thing.

Try restarting the controller, I had this on the first boot after upgrade before.  If that fails reset the controller to default, do basic setup and connect your cloud account then try the restore.

So--now I have a spiffy interface that shows no devices or APs adopted. I can see the list of APs but each say they are managed by someone else.

I tried to adopt one and it failed. I had a bout of anxiety there, but when I go to the cloud control, I see all the APs online and the mesh is working. As soon as I tell it to launch, I get the new interface with no devices and no APs. But the mesh is working!

The managed by someone else is due to the restore of the controller not being complete.   This will fix itself when you restore the config, it will see the APs as its own.  Other option is to reset the APs to factory default, then adopt them into this new controller.  

The new interface tells me there are Association failures: 1) association timeout 2) Blocked by Access Control, and 3) WPA Authentiation Timeout/Failure.

The log shows that it thinks I have failed to log into the controller.

The association timeout is likely due to you only having one AP at present (others are still looking for old controller).  You will get the association common enough, one to ignore unless its constant for one device.    Blocked by Acccess Control is some restriction / MAC filter you have set.   WPA timeout is likely signal strength, one APs are online should sort this.

Failed login could be the attempted restore, the restore will have your master passwords saved in it.

Hopefully that will point you in the right direction.. :)

Options
Related Articles