Guide to Installing Omada Software Controller on Raspberry Pi OS - V5

Guide to Installing Omada Software Controller on Raspberry Pi OS - V5

106 Reply
Re:Guide to Installing Omada Software Controller on Raspberry Pi OS - V5
2024-02-19 19:56:35
The lite version worked. I got all the way in and started adopting AP's etc. then it got a little slow and started timing out. Likely just a lack of hardware in the 3B. I am going to keep plugging away. I did get a notification that there is a newer version 5.13, should I try ad update it?
Options
2024-02-20 02:09:03 - last edited 2024-02-20 02:09:53

Glad to see that you got it working. Unless you specifically need the features / bug fixes from the latest version, just stay with the one you got working for now. The 3B will only work adequately for very small wifi systems with a few APs. TP-Link recommends a Intel Core i3-8100 with 16GB RAM or better to run the Controller, so keep that in mind when you are frustrated by the slow response on a Pi3B with 1GB of memory

Options
2024-02-20 17:05:05

@kilovar 

Fair enough. It eventually stopped working while I was poking around with the two AP's.

I tried the docker method but dang if there is not much "how to" on that.

I then bailed on the pi completely and tried to use my Odroid N2+ which should have enough power to be sufficent but I didn't have much luck with that either, broken dependinces etc. relating to MongoDB.

Any suggestion on a guide for Ubuntu 22.04 ?

I probably just need to hook up a monitor and use the desktop docker/portainer, I lack skills to do most anything in command line.

Thanks for the help, I think a little better pi and I'd be in business.

Options
2024-02-22 14:43:23 - last edited 2024-02-22 14:49:59

You are correct, I don't think the 1G of RAM in the 3B will cut it with the latest controllers. You will also need a CPU heatsink to get past the initial install/setup.  The initial setup of the container could take 10-20min before it stabilizes into its running config...so be patient!

You can see from my thread below, I used a US$30 2G Pi clone and docker, and it's been running since then at one of my sites just fine (and it's also running portainer and pihole and wireguard too). Have a look at post#14 https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/606692?sortDir=ASC&page=2. I have also upgraded the controller twice since that initial install...very easy...take backup, stop/delete old controller container, pull/build new container, restore backup.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-02-22 15:44:57

@d0ugmac1 

The Odroid n2+ is running perfectly, it's a shame I couldn't get the two pi's running because outside of a Octopi I have never used them for anything meaningful...

I am looking at adding the pi-hole stuff to the odroid as well.
More to learn, I will check out your thread, thanks.

Options
2024-02-22 16:49:05

@CarterKraft I am curious what OS you got to work on the Odroid n2+ with Omada Controller, as you mentioned in an earlier post that you could not get it to work?

Options
2024-02-27 07:43:53

First time attempting an upgrade - going from 5.12.7 to 5.13.30.8

The new deb package will be in my home directory

To upgrade do we simply:

sudo apt install new package name DOT deb

or

sudo dpkg --install new package name DOT deb

Will all my settings carry over? (Yes I will backup just in case).

Thank you

Options
2024-02-27 10:06:23

@VE7KOD 

when I upgrade I first take backup of controller then I use this command from ssh console.

sudo -s

cd /tmp

wget https://static.tp-link.com/upload/software/2023/202312/20231201/Omada_SDN_Controller_v5.13.22_Linux_x64.deb

dpkg -i Omada_SDN_Controller_v5.13.22_Linux_x64.deb

Options
2024-02-27 15:16:47

@kilovar 

Ubuntu 22.04 mate from the Odroid wiki page.

I never tried the desktop environment though so I could have used the lite version I suppose.

Options
2024-02-27 16:16:11

@VE7KOD The are obviously a number of ways (see other posts).  

When I upgrade I uninstall

<sudo apt remove omadac>

The uninstaller will ask if I want to save settings, which I want and select yes.

Then I install the new version with the command in the guide (sudo apt install ,,...)

During the new install the installer will find the saved settings and ask if you want to import, and then you select yes 

Options