ER605 suddenly disconnect from omada controller but still working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

ER605 suddenly disconnect from omada controller but still working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
58 Reply
Re:ER605 suddenly disconnect from omada controller but still working
2023-07-03 21:20:16 - last edited 2023-07-12 01:15:41

I experience this multiple times per week.

ER605 v2 latest firmware (according to the controller).  The Router just disconnects from the controller, which generates an email to tell me it disconnected, with no other information.

Additionally, on the TP-Link hardware Wifi just kind of stops for a minute or two at a time randomly using the EAP615 Wall hardware.

It's pretty frustrating, and I get nothing in the logs.  There is absolutely no information about why the router just disconnects, or why the wifi just stops for a couple of minutes at a time. 

I'm running the software Controller, not the hardware device, if that matters or helps.

Options
2023-07-08 09:56:10 - last edited 2023-07-12 01:15:41

Well I have signed up here to try and get some help with this garbage.

I work in I.T. and setup small business networks for my clients, I decided to invest into this Omada ecosystem as I already had some equipment and have purchased more gear, including the ER605 and OC200 to start learning the system, only to learn it doesn't friggen work as advertised or should I say flakey at best.

For this to be a business worthy platform that can be rolled out on commercial sites it needs to be better than this.

Everything seemed to be going ok until I started expanding my home network and along the way firmware updates were offered by the system which I applied assuming they had been quality control tested, to be offered in the first place, certainly not TP-Link, the system just started falling apart before my eyes.

Mesh causing port lockouts isolating switches,thinking there are network loops, now the router permanantly disconnecting from the controller and never regaining connection until rebooting. Its a nightmare !

Luckily the router does maintain its primary internet connection whilst permanantly diconnected from the controller but I am not sure if it will failover to 4G as I believe this is a controller function and one of the reasons I wanted to invest in this system.

I have spent over a $1000 aussie setting this all up and have been disappointed with my decision. I am on a large property so there is considerable requirement for extensive wireless coverage using mesh links with remote switches etc.

Anyhow I read that the latest beta firmware was supposed to fix the disconnects whilst investigating the router disconnect issue but its just the same, at least prior to the beta version the router would eventually reconnect but now she is just diconnected until power cycle reboot.

The logging system is worthless as it does not indicate why anything happens, just that it has happened, why can't there be some more detailed logging, this would help everyone involved.

So thats my rant for now, I really want to roll this out onto my clients sites but in this current state I cannot even consider it, Telstra Junk routers here in Australia are more stable than this.

I do want to say that I have slowly become very comfortable and confident with TP-Link equipment and am shocked with what I am whitnessing with this hardware to date.

I might see if I can roll back to an earlier firmware because it definately was not disconnectiing prior to recent released updates.

If I find some stability, I will report back. But honestly TP-Link can you please get onto this as an utmost priority and report to your customers exactly what the problem is and an expected time frame to fix it.

Cheers Tri.

Options
2023-07-08 10:04:18 - last edited 2023-07-12 01:15:41

Just to add to my prior post:

ER605 v2.0

Firmware 2.1.3 Build 20230616 Rel 6307

Controller OC200 v1.0

Firmware 1.24.0 Build 20230328 Rel 52384 Controller Version 5.9.32

Options
2023-07-10 06:30:22 - last edited 2023-07-12 01:15:41

No Change for me on Firmware 2.2.0, The main router connection to the controller lasted a couple of hours after a cold restart & 2.2.0 Upgrade and bam, disconnected and stays that way forever until a cold start.

Still cannot control my router.

I am really over this now....

Can somebody from  TPL give some advice on what else to try.

I am prepared to invest some time into making it work, I just need some response from the vendor.

Cheers Tri.

Options
2023-07-11 17:21:28 - last edited 2023-07-12 01:15:41

Hello,

it seems that TP-Link unfortunately forgot sad to merge (include) a bugfix for the ER605 into the new version 2.2.0.

I was on a beta firmware during last weeks, I think from here, and everything went fine.

With the update to version 2.2.0 problem is back again.angry

The router just disconnects but still works.

There seem to be more customers having this issue:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/559562

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/603350

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/614746

Options
2023-07-11 21:21:40 - last edited 2023-07-12 01:15:41

@ITGK 

Some new threads in the business router section as well with same issue reported (and by myself)  Some tickets have been opened by Clive_A one of the admins  but possibly worth posting in there as well with details 

Options
2023-07-12 01:53:56

Hi @ITGK @Tripod64 @bmcgonag 

Thank you for taking the time to report the issue on TP-Link Community! I have forwarded the issue to our support engineers for further investigation and will try to provide an update here when there is any progress.

Current thread: ER605 frequently disconnects from OC200 after upgrading to firmware 2.2.0

Rest assured as we are working on it.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-07-12 08:10:45

@Clive_A 

Same problem here, 've started a thread too.

VDSL Router -> ER 605 V2.0 FW 2.2.0 -> OC200 1.24.0 Build 20230328 Rel.52384 Controller Version 5.9.32

After a few hours ER605 goes disconnected. 

Options
2023-07-12 08:46:34

OK I think I may have stumbled upon the root cause of all this purely by accident.

What we need is some verbose logging in the controller and it might help to solve the puzzle.

I am just going to keep it short here, I will post a full report in the main thread as to why I think I know what is causing the problems.

I would like others here looking for answers to check their gear but it seems it could be related the routing table in the 605 just getting screwed up and spitting the dummy if multiple IP addreses are assigned to the WAN port.

For those who are using a router that is set for bridging such as I am, make sure you disable any DHCP servers in that router before switching it to bridge mode. I am running on FTTN with a Telstra VDSL router in bridge mode + a Teltonika 4G LTE router in bridge mode as a failover.

Some routers seem to keep their DHCP server for private IP addresses active whilst running in bridge mode and maybe the WAN port of the 605 is actually getting assigned 2 IP addreses, one public from your provider and one private from the bridge unit, then the 605 might be getting all freaked out and confused with its routing tables and just disconnects from the controller because its in la la land, its only a guess but I will post in the main thread as to how I have come to this conclusion, it will be lengthy cause I have been messing around with this for days.

I am now on all up to date and current release firmwares, no betas, after doing a roll back which made me redo everything as far as defining all the network etc, I still could not keep the router connected to the controller for more than 2 hours after which I had to cold boot to get it recognised by the controller again, internet was always maintained even though the controller would not re-adopt the router.

I disconnected my 4G failover bridge and its now been connected for over 12 hours and not missed a beat.

Can everyone look carefully at their bridges and make sure DHCP is disabled in those units.

I found the teltonika was still issuing private IP addresses in bridge mode, however I have not reconnected it as yet as I am yet to redefine the failover config, but at least I have now stabilised the patient, will report back further findings after some more testing tonight.

Cheers Tri.

Options
2023-07-12 23:38:51 - last edited 2023-07-12 23:41:23

OK, another update from me...

Looks like I may have been barking up the wrong tree with my previous post.

I configured the failover option and boom, disconnected from controller within under 2 hours after doing that and stays disconnected, internet stays on though.

I am not doing VPN's or anything else on this router, I only really wanted it for the failover facility. So no other unusual configurations.

I just happen to have another brand new ER605 still in the box here. The firmware on it out of the box was 2.0.0. Which does not seem to be downloadable from the official site.

I power cycled my original router with 2.2.0. firmware to forget it from the controller after it eventually reconnected.

I then setup the new router with 2.0.0. Firmware and configured it as standalone router with failover, even tested the failover worked and all good.

I then adopted the new router, it adopted, configured and connected to the controller and has been online now for 7hrs and 45 Minutes.

In between all that the controller itself was offering a new firmware release of the controller software but I have not taken that as that will just be another variable. So things seem to be ok for me on 2.0.0. Router firmware, may TPL can now take a closer look between these firmwares to see what is going on.

The funny thing is that the original router worked OK out of the box too but I do not recall its original firmware version, I am assuming 2.0.0. Also as I purchased them fairly close together from Amazon.

The lowest version available is 2.0.1, I might try that now on the original router to see what gives and report back.

So at this point it is looking like the routers more recent firmware is the culprit not the controller firmware and also depends what options you are configuring, in my case the failover option causes the issue, without the failover it stayed connected to the controller for over 12 hours.

Cheers Tri.

Options