Wired static clients appear in controller with invalid address

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-04 20:45:11
Model: OC300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 5.7.6

I'm having a very similar issue to this topic:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/187180

All my clients are wired, however.  I am setting static IP addresses for each one: 192.168.10.x.  Some of them appear with these correct addresses in the Omada Controller.  However, others appear with 169.254.x.x addresses.  The ones with these link local addresses still work fine and connect to the internet with no issues, but it would be nice if I could identify them correctly in the controller software.  These are all Windows 10 computers.  The ones that appear correct are newer machines, but all of them are running Windows 10, fully updated.

Any ideas?

Options
10 Reply
Re:Wired static clients appear in controller with invalid address
2023-01-06 02:55:38

@strells What gateway are you using for IP assignment, or is the static IP being set on the computer?

Options
2023-01-06 04:03:34

@JoeSea static addresses are set on each individual computer. 

Options
2023-01-06 04:10:38

@strells It sounds like the gateway is already handing out those IP addresses you want to be static to someone else under dynamic allocation, since the gateway probably doesn't have a reservation for the IPs.  So Windows gets a IP error from the gateway for conflict, and sets a local IP.

Options
2023-01-06 04:16:00

@JoeSea I don't have DHCP enabled so how is that possible?

Options
2023-01-06 04:23:18

@strells Oh wow, ok, I've not heard of a network that is fully static since the 90's.  But it still is most likely a double IP assignment conflict with another client.

Options
2023-01-06 04:25:50

@JoeSea I have a VPN IPSec tunnel setup and I need to access each individual machine, thus the static addresses. I can guarantee I don't have any duplicated addresses or I'd be having some real issues with my setup. 

Options
2023-01-06 04:36:04

@strells I'm not the best at VPNs, but could there be conflict across the tunnel if both sides are using the same subnet?

Options
2023-01-06 04:42:56

@JoeSea the other side isn't using the same subnet. The whole thing doesn't make sense. 

Options
2023-01-10 10:34:47

strells wrote

I'm having a very similar issue to this topic:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/187180

All my clients are wired, however.  I am setting static IP addresses for each one: 192.168.10.x.  Some of them appear with these correct addresses in the Omada Controller.  However, others appear with 169.254.x.x addresses.  The ones with these link local addresses still work fine and connect to the internet with no issues, but it would be nice if I could identify them correctly in the controller software.  These are all Windows 10 computers.  The ones that appear correct are newer machines, but all of them are running Windows 10, fully updated.

Any ideas?

Dear  @strells 

What is the model number of your router? And the switch?

If possible, please share us how you connect the whole network, so I can run some test on my end. 

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-01-15 21:29:26

@Hank21 hi missed this until now. The router is an ER605. The switch is a Cisco high end device, I  9300 series (I'm forgetting right now which it is).  The router connects between ports 1 and 2 of the switch to feed to the other 46 ports. 

Options