Omada mDNS with HomeKit

Omada mDNS with HomeKit

Omada mDNS with HomeKit
Omada mDNS with HomeKit
2023-04-14 07:45:48 - last edited 2023-10-31 07:47:30
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

For anyone facing issues with HomeKit and mDNS for homekit devices/accessories in another network/VLAN.

Create the following service under Profiles-> Bonjour Service.

And select the service in mDNS rules. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Omada mDNS with HomeKit-Solution
2023-10-31 07:47:15 - last edited 2023-10-31 07:47:30

Hi @nilava 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Anyone got issues with mDNS and Bonjour Service, refer to the guides:

Troubleshooting mDNS Repeater on the Router Doesn't Take Effect

Knowledge Base List of Common Bonjour Service

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:Omada mDNS with HomeKit
2023-05-21 16:33:59

@nilava Thanks for this. I have found this made my homekit devices in my IoT network to be more reliable.

However, I still have some issues and not sure if you know of any work arounds. Currently I have 2 homepods that are on my IoT wireless network along with 3 apple tvs on my IoT network connected via ethernet while I have all iphones, ipads and laptops (mac and pc) on my main secure network. I also have all the latest updates on all of my omada hardware. Being that my iphone and homepods or on different wifi networks I have the homepod mismatch warning on the home app. Because of this I do not have full functionallity of the homepods (timers and auto updates). I have tried connecting my homepads to my main secure network (same as my iphones) and the homepod network mismatch warning on the home app goes away. I gain full functionallity of my homepods and can control all of my homekit devices via my iphone both through the home app and through Siri on my iphone. However, with this my homepods are not able to control any of my homekit devices through Siri commands.

Any advice on what to do here?

Options
2023-10-01 03:07:26

@nilava Thanks! Solved my issues.

Any other recommended profies? I added one for spotify ... 

_spotify-connect._tcp.local
Options
2023-10-27 10:00:20

@nilava thank you, it solved my issue. You made my day !

Options
Re:Omada mDNS with HomeKit-Solution
2023-10-31 07:47:15 - last edited 2023-10-31 07:47:30

Hi @nilava 

Anyone got issues with mDNS and Bonjour Service, refer to the guides:

Troubleshooting mDNS Repeater on the Router Doesn't Take Effect

Knowledge Base List of Common Bonjour Service

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
2024-01-15 08:35:09

supaloop wrote

@nilava Thanks for this. I have found this made my homekit devices in my IoT network to be more reliable.

However, I still have some issues and not sure if you know of any work arounds. Currently I have 2 homepods that are on my IoT wireless network along with 3 apple tvs on my IoT network connected via ethernet while I have all iphones, ipads and laptops (mac and pc) on my main secure network. I also have all the latest updates on all of my omada hardware. Being that my iphone and homepods or on different wifi networks I have the homepod mismatch warning on the home app. Because of this I do not have full functionallity of the homepods (timers and auto updates). I have tried connecting my homepads to my main secure network (same as my iphones) and the homepod network mismatch warning on the home app goes away. I gain full functionallity of my homepods and can control all of my homekit devices via my iphone both through the home app and through Siri on my iphone. However, with this my homepods are not able to control any of my homekit devices through Siri commands.

Hi @supaloop 

I am facing the same issue. Did you find any solution for this.

Also if both your homepod and iphone is on main network and homekit devices or on IOT neywork, what happens when you need to add new devices to homekit will you need to shift homepod or iphone or both to IOT network?

Thanks

Options
2024-02-19 13:58:50

I've done all these steps, but ER605 V1 absolutely doesn't work.

Most other people say the same - mDNS repeating (and I only need prointer access) should be straight up marked as disabled for ER605.

Options
2024-02-20 07:34:35

Hi @jalexoid 

jalexoid wrote

Most other people say the same - mDNS repeating (and I only need prointer access) should be straight up marked as disabled for ER605.

So, this is a straightforward feature and there would only be two results of it. Work and don't work. For me, it is way too common to see such comments.

If you want to dig into this, provide the information I need if you have done both links, you should know what I need. BTW, if you want to make the HomeKit work, you also need a hub in your network. What hub do you have?

I don't understand the second line. What are you trying to express?

Options
2024-02-20 07:38:34

Hi @querymaster 

querymaster wrote

supaloop wrote

Hi @supaloop 

I am facing the same issue. Did you find any solution for this.

Also if both your homepod and iphone is on main network and homekit devices or on IOT neywork, what happens when you need to add new devices to homekit will you need to shift homepod or iphone or both to IOT network?

Thanks

Of course it does not work if you have set up ACL. Hmm, the link I posted above does not mention that ACL would block this? In the mDNS repeating, if that's blocked, or anything is not under the same network, or has access from the hub to the IoT, you wouldn't be able to manage or control them.

And HomeKit is local network-based controlling, and you have to make sure the phone, hub, and IoT have access to each other. This is MUST. If one is missing out, you don't get it working.

Options
2024-02-20 15:56:11

@Clive_A 

Clive_A wrote

Hi @jalexoid 

jalexoid wrote

So, this is a straightforward feature and there would only be two results of it. Work and don't work. For me, it is way too common to see such comments.

If you want to dig into this, provide the information I need if you have done both links, you should know what I need. BTW, if you want to make the HomeKit work, you also need a hub in your network. What hub do you have?

1. ER605 V1 firmware at 1.3.1 - mDNS forwarding config doesn't work. It doesn't repeat the queries. I tried all options and troubleshooting.

Getting on the same network as all of my IoT devices - I can query everything.

Switching to another VLAN - queries don't get forwarded, but networks are reachable.

I setup Avahi Repeater - and everytrhing works perfectly.

2. Omada Controller UI should disable mDNS for ER605 V1. Because it doesn't work in any capacity.

Options
2024-02-21 01:26:22

Hi @jalexoid 

jalexoid wrote

@Clive_A 

Clive_A wrote

Hi @jalexoid 

jalexoid wrote

1. ER605 V1 firmware at 1.3.1 - mDNS forwarding config doesn't work. It doesn't repeat the queries. I tried all options and troubleshooting.

Getting on the same network as all of my IoT devices - I can query everything.

Switching to another VLAN - queries don't get forwarded, but networks are reachable.

I setup Avahi Repeater - and everytrhing works perfectly.

2. Omada Controller UI should disable mDNS for ER605 V1. Because it doesn't work in any capacity.

Test method and details, please.

Wireshark results and port mirror details.

How to capture packets using Wireshark on SMB router or switch

How to Use Port Mirror to Capture Packets in the Controller

Options

Information

Helpful: 5

Views: 2089

Replies: 10

Related Articles