SDN Hardware Controller upgrade (no Windows)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-15 15:07:04 - last edited 2023-04-15 17:05:25
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.7.7 Build 20221206 Rel.58608

I am a new user, so apologies for the the question.

I have just seen that a new SDN Controller is out [1].

I wanted to upgrade from the tpkinkcloud platform, but if I go to Controller Settings -> Maintenance -> Hardware Controller -> Hardware Controller Firmware and click on "Check for Upgrade", I receive the following answer: "Up to Date You are running the latest version".

Looking at her [2], it seems you need a Windows PC also to upgrade the hardware controller. But I do not have any Windows PC available (only a Linux, a raspberry pi or a ChromeOs).

What am I mis-reading or missing? How can I upgrade to the new SDN Controller version?

To summarise:

• Controller Version 5.7.6
  • Model OC200 2.0
  • Firmware Version 2.7.7 Build 20221206 Rel.58608

Thanks

[1] https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/605964

[2] https://static.tp-link.com/upload/manual/2023/202304/20230411/1910013343_Omada%20SDN%20Controller_User%20Guide_REV5.9.0.pdf

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:SDN Hardware Controller upgrade (no Windows)-Solution
2023-04-15 16:04:02 - last edited 2023-04-15 17:05:25

@giopas 

Hey

OK so you dont need to have a Windows PC to upgrade the OC200, it is done via the web interface where you did the check for updates.  

The reason the new version isnt appearing, its a BETA version for testing, not the official release yet.    When its offically released it will appear for download automatically in a day or two, however you can install the BETA if you wish

Go to the forums for the OC200 BETA firmware from there as it wont be on official downloads, save it to your PC / Laptop / Chromebook and open the OC200 interface.

Under SETTINGS, MAINTENANCE, choose MANUAL UPGRADE and point it to the file you downloaded.  (you might need to extract it first from the zip file).  This should then update for you

However remember this is a BETA so its currently testing for bugs and stability, there may be issues with this so at your own risk!     If you are at all worried about that, hold off until its checked and officially released! 

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-04-17 07:55:43 - last edited 2023-04-17 07:55:47

Hi All,

The official firmware v5.9.32 has been released, please follow the post link below for details.

Omada Hardware Controller_V5.9.32 (Released On Apr 14th, 2023)

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
2023-04-15 16:04:02 - last edited 2023-04-15 17:05:25

@giopas 

Hey

OK so you dont need to have a Windows PC to upgrade the OC200, it is done via the web interface where you did the check for updates.  

The reason the new version isnt appearing, its a BETA version for testing, not the official release yet.    When its offically released it will appear for download automatically in a day or two, however you can install the BETA if you wish

Go to the forums for the OC200 BETA firmware from there as it wont be on official downloads, save it to your PC / Laptop / Chromebook and open the OC200 interface.

Under SETTINGS, MAINTENANCE, choose MANUAL UPGRADE and point it to the file you downloaded.  (you might need to extract it first from the zip file).  This should then update for you

However remember this is a BETA so its currently testing for bugs and stability, there may be issues with this so at your own risk!     If you are at all worried about that, hold off until its checked and officially released! 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:SDN Hardware Controller upgrade (no Windows)
2023-04-15 16:47:48

@Philbert thank you! I though that connecting through tplinkcloud I could also see the manual upgrade option, but it is not the case (at least by default). I have therefore just logged directly on the controller using the local IP. Kudos 

Options
2023-04-17 07:55:43 - last edited 2023-04-17 07:55:47

Hi All,

The official firmware v5.9.32 has been released, please follow the post link below for details.

Omada Hardware Controller_V5.9.32 (Released On Apr 14th, 2023)

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-04-17 09:24:25

@giopas 

NEVER perform any upgrades when being connected via TP-Link Cloud.

ALWAYS connect to local IP's and then do the desired upgrade.

There have been many reports in the past that devices might become unresponsive/stuck in upgrade process/bricked when starting upgrade through TP Link Cloud.

Just as a hint.

Options
2023-04-17 09:56:29

Thank you both!

Question: how can I go from the beta to the new stable? Will that upgrade work?

Options
2023-04-17 12:22:02

@giopas 

Upgrades will work.

First, log into your controller (local IP!) and go to devices page, from there you should be able to upgrade your router to latest stable version.

Once this is done, the router rebooted and is visible again on your devices page showing latest firmware, only then go ahead and upgrade your OC200 via Controller Maintenance page in the Menu.

Should be pretty much straight forward.

Options
2023-04-21 22:37:35

Nobody asked me, but I had a similar problem: could not find the upgrade button. I tried some wrong stuff (like creating a local account), before understanding I needed to log on using the IP from the local network (logging from the cloud I couldn't even see the option for manual upgrade), and using the cloud account (instead of the local one I created); only then I was able to see the upgrade button.

Then I checked for upgrades, and it still came back empty. So what I did was:

1) backup of the settings (I could not download it, so I had to set up an SSH server)

2) upgrade using the .bin file (the one I got from Download for OC200 | TP-Link)

3) log back in using the cloud master account, and then restore the settings

And it worked.

I have the controller running on hardware (OC200 v2), so I checked that I had the right file a couple of times before starting everything. But it worked out in the end.

Options