Installing omada controller on a raspberry pi 2b 32 bit

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-21 10:00:57
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I saw some instruction running the omada controller on a pi with 32 bit os

Does anybody know if this still works and does it support the latest firmware?

I rather by a second switch then a controller if unneeded.

below the youtube link and the textfile.

I tried the other methods yesterday but it started once and then it crashed in docker.

https://youtu.be/Xx6ltd1sSR4

Download this text file in the description below 1. Install Raspberry Pi OS Raspberry Pi Imager Enable ssh 2. Download and Extract wget https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202004/20200420/Omada_Controller_v3.2.10_linux_x64.tar.gz tar zxvf Omada_Controller_v3.2.10_linux_x64.tar.gz 3. Install MongoDB apt-get install mongodb rm Omada_Controller_v3.2.10_linux_x64/bin/mongod ln -s /usr/bin/mongod Omada_Controller_v3.2.10_linux_x64/bin/mongod 4. Installation apt-get update apt-get install jsvc apt install net-tools apt-get install curl apt-get install openjdk-8-jdk sudo update-alternatives --config java sed -i -e 's/JRE_HOME="${OMADA_HOME}\/jre"/JRE_HOME="\/usr\/lib\/jvm\/default-java"/g' Omada_Controller_v3.2.10_linux_x64/bin/control.sh sed -i -e 's/JAVA_OPTS="-server/JAVA_OPTS="-client/g' Omada_Controller_v3.2.10_linux_x64/bin/control.sh sed -i -e 's/${PORTT_TOOL} 127.0.0.1 ${HTTP_PORT} 500/netstat -plnt | grep :::${HTTP_PORT}/g' Omada_Controller_v3.2.10_linux_x64/bin/control.sh cd /usr/lib/jvm ls -hl ln -s java-8-openjdk-armhf default-java cd Omada_Controller_v3.2.10_linux_x64 bash install.sh 5. Running http://ip_address:8088

Options
32 Reply
Re:Installing omada controller on a raspberry pi 2b 32 bit
2023-04-21 13:56:22 - last edited 2023-04-21 14:17:14

@Joepke I think the 1G of the Rpi2B is going to trip you up with the latest controllers.  I'm running 5.9 in a Docker VM and it's over 1G of RAM.

You may get some joy in changing the -Xmx parameter and tuning it a bit better, or you could just burn out your SDcard with endless swapping.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-04-21 16:54:53
Its already failing to get the mongodb. not the best idea to get an outdated version anyway. Looks like the raspberry pis are hard to get at the moment. SO i guess im going to buy the controller or look into getting an alternative board
Options
2023-04-21 18:15:35

@Joepke 

I just bought a pair of 2G RAM Libre LePotato's for C$100 (~USD$30 ea?).  One of which is now a secondary PiHole which will be located at a remote site.  They come with 2G of RAM and a quad core, and if you want I can probably mock up a 5.9 server on one for you on the second, just to make sure it 'fits'.  Spec wise they are very similar to the OC200 ie 100M ethernet, USB2.0, 5V power (sadly no POE hat for these devices).  PiHole installed nicely on an old CAT4 8G SD card I've had lying around forever....you could do much better these days with a CAT10 16G for cheap.

Options
2023-04-21 19:00:16

@d0ugmac1 

Thnx for looking in to it.

They are cheap.

Not sure if I can buy one here.

Options
2023-04-21 19:28:54

@Joepke 

Try Amazon

Options
2023-04-21 19:39:41
Yes but need to add a credit card. And not sure if they can deliver
Options
2023-04-21 19:49:02
What country?
Options
2023-04-21 20:07:36

@d0ugmac1 Netherlands but i bought it on ebay with PayPal.

Cheap device half of the price for sending it here.

It has a Raspberry Pi formfactor?

I just need to buy a case and power supply .

d0ugmac1 wrote

What country?

Options
2023-04-21 20:15:33
For the most part a USB-microUSB cable and a 7W or better charger block will do for a power supply (I repurposed an old Samsung phone charger 5V 1.5A). Any Pi3 Case will fit, there's even one on Printables if you have a friend with a 3D printer. I didn't need it for PiHole, but you may wish to invest in a small, cheap, heatsink just in case. Should only be $3-4. Lastly, the SD card, forum wisdom seems to be CLASS10 and 16G as the min. Industrial or Sandisk Ultra should prolong the useful life of the SDcard. You need to download the base OS off the Libre computer website. I used the latest Armbian distro as it already is optimized for running on SD. Note, you DO need to connect a monitor and USB keyboard the first time around to set the root password...then you can just SSH in afterwards.
Options
2023-04-21 20:32:21

@d0ugmac1 yeah I got an old Samsung charger 2a so that should be fine.

It supposed to run pi 3 os .

Do you think that a heat sink is needed never used that on my pi.

But this will be always on.

Setting up command line interfaces is no problem as is setting it up with a monitor.

d0ugmac1 wrote

For the most part a USB-microUSB cable and a 7W or better charger block will do for a power supply (I repurposed an old Samsung phone charger 5V 1.5A). Any Pi3 Case will fit, there's even one on Printables if you have a friend with a 3D printer. I didn't need it for PiHole, but you may wish to invest in a small, cheap, heatsink just in case. Should only be $3-4. Lastly, the SD card, forum wisdom seems to be CLASS10 and 16G as the min. Industrial or Sandisk Ultra should prolong the useful life of the SDcard. You need to download the base OS off the Libre computer website. I used the latest Armbian distro as it already is optimized for running on SD. Note, you DO need to connect a monitor and USB keyboard the first time around to set the root password...then you can just SSH in afterwards.

Options