EAP615-wall and Seamless Roaming (or Mesh?)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-11 20:11:15
Model: EAP615-Wall  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.6

Hi all,

After years with consumer products (1 Asus RT-AC86U + 4 RT-AC68U, all with Merlin firmware), I have decided to move to a more reliable network (especially given issues of the router to handle wifi connections).

I therefore jumped, from the wifi part, on Omada products and bought:

1x Omada Controller OC200

2x Omada Switch TL-SG2210MP

5x Omada EAP615-Wall v.1 (firmware 1.1.6)

I have all configured everything, and switched on the Fast Roaming, AI Roaming and Dual Band 11k report options. Indeed my foundamental requirement is to be able to move all around the house (compose of different rooms in different floors) withtout loosing the connection.

However, I still keep the the connection dropping if I move from one room (ie AP) to the other.

Doing an AI optimisation scan, the 5 EAPs were moved to Tx Power (EIRP) 16 However it seems there is still a gap.

I am trying to increase Tx Power to 20, but I am starting to question if the devices are actually not the right ones to ensure the possibility to have a strong and always on connection.

In few days the 1 month for asking refound will be over, therefore I am questionning if I would not rather have to change EAP and go for EAP620 HD.

This was probably based on the false impression that mesh = fast roaming (which I think having understood it is not the case). However, I cannot understand why with the Asus I could easily move around the house and now I cannot.

Thanks!

Options
2 Reply
Re:EAP615-wall and Seamless Roaming (or Mesh?)
2023-05-11 21:57:26 - last edited 2023-05-11 21:59:32

@giopas 

In TPlink land mesh means wireless backhaul between APs to get back to switch.  However, no wall AP supports this feature.

That said, you really shouldn't be having the experience you are.  Have you read through the Fast Roaming docs?  Do you know if your mobile device supports 802.11r?

When you say drop...do you mean hiccups in streaming real time services?  Loss of VPN?

PS I too came here from AC68U land :)

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
Re:EAP615-wall and Seamless Roaming (or Mesh?)
2023-05-11 22:13:23 - last edited 2023-05-11 22:14:26

@d0ugmac1 

Thanks for your reply!

I went through the Fast Roaming docs, but maybe there is somethig esoteric I cannot get :)

I have several mobile devices (a Pixel 6Pro, a Samsung A52, a couple of iPhones, 2 laptops and 1 tablet, to simplify) but TBH I am not sure where to check if they are 802.11r capable...

Drop I mean that ping drops or that latency is >600ms... so for example if I am on zoom and change room, connection drops.

Speaking with the chat support, I just changed all APs settings as follows:

2.4ghz:

- width 40mhz

- channel 1

- tx power medium

5ghz:

- width 80mhz

- channel 44

- tx power medium 

Let see how it works...

Happy to find another former Asus user, that could maybe support and understand in my unclear muttering :D

Options