EAP Beta Firmware for Omada SDN Controller v5.9 (Updated on May 6th, 2024)- [Thread Closed]

EAP Beta Firmware for Omada SDN Controller v5.9 (Updated on May 6th, 2024)- [Thread Closed]

274 Reply
Re:EAP Beta Firmware for Omada SDN Controller v5.9 (Updated on Aug 15th, 2023)
2023-08-22 08:35:10 - last edited 2023-08-22 08:35:41

Hello @folfix,

folfix wrote

EDIT 2: Changing PMF from "Mandatory" to "Capable" fixed the issue. (wifi settings)

Worth to metion that using 1.0.6 beta and Mandatory PMF used to work - probably this was not implemented properly.

Thanks for updating us on what you've done to have it fixed. If there is anything new came out, please feel free to let me know.

That makes sense now. The PMF feature was supported since Omada Controller v5.7, which requires to upgrade the EAP device firmware to take effect. The 1.0.6 beta firmware you mentioned is not adapted to controller 5.7, that is, the 1.0.6 beta firmware doesn't support the PMF feature, thus the PMF configuration with "Mandatory" won't affect the connection of non-PMF-capable clients.

While the EAP670_V1_1.0.11_Build 20230702 (Beta) provided in this post is adapted to controller 5.9, which supports the PMF feature. It seems that your IoT client is non-PMF-capable, so changing PMF from "Mandatory" to "Capable" can fix the issue. If your IoT still has connection issue with the "Capable" option, you may disable PMF for the IoT network.

BTW, the 1.0.11 beta firmware provided in this post has already fixed the adoption loop issue that was fixed by the 1.0.6 beta.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-08-22 08:52:25

@Fae thanks for clarification!

Yep, I confirm the loop problem is gone in 1.0.11 beta.

Small suggestion: it would be convenient to see an warning in logs - that device can't connect to AP because of PMF.

Nevertheless, I am not sure if this is technically possible - to determine such an error on AP/controller level.

Thanks,

Jan

Options
2023-08-22 09:05:11

Hello @Cozz,

Cozz wrote

I have just found out via Insights that the Nest Protects - when the EAP is on the 1.2.0 firmware - are blocked by an ACL that I have not setup. When I rollback the firmware, this mystery ACL block vanishes.

Sorry that I just realized that you were saying the Blocked list at the Insights > Known Client.

Actually, that Blocked list has nothing to do with the ACL rule. If the clients are shown in the Blocked list, that means the clients was blocked from the Known Client list before, as shown in the following gif, you can easily click the Block icon to block any known clients and you can click the Unblock icon to remove it from the Blocked list.

Please try to click the Unblock icon to unblock the Nest Protects, and check whether your Nest Protects can connect to the EAP WiFi properly on the 1.2.0 firmware. Besides, please also confirm whether you configured the PMF with "Mandatory" like what @folfix did. If yes, please change it to "Capable" or disable the PMF for checking. About the PMF feature, you can check my reply in floor #65 for more details.

We look forward to your feedback.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-08-22 09:08:15

Hello @folfix,

folfix wrote

Yep, I confirm the loop problem is gone in 1.0.11 beta.

Small suggestion: it would be convenient to see an warning in logs - that device can't connect to AP because of PMF.

Nevertheless, I am not sure if this is technically possible - to determine such an error on AP/controller level.

Thank you for your prompt reply. And thank you for your suggestion, I'll forward it to the developer for further evaluation.

Options
2023-08-22 09:17:39

@Fae 

Hi Fae,

It wasn't blocked via Insights; it had a very generic error saying blocked by ACL. See screenshot below:

Options
2023-08-22 10:12:06

Hello @Cozz,

Cozz wrote

It wasn't blocked via Insights; it had a very generic error saying blocked by ACL. See screenshot below: 

Thank you for the screenshot. So you were actually talking about the ACL block in the Insights > Past Connection > Association Failure.

To confirm, could you please go to Settings > Wireless Networks > WLAN, edit your existing wireless network and check whether the Mac Filter is configured?

Options
2023-08-22 10:18:18

@Fae Can 100% confirm that there is no MAC filtering on any of the WiFi networks. In an effort to troubleshoot, I have split the network - Network 1 (combined 2.4/5GHz) and Network 2 (5GHz) and Network 3 (2.4GHz) as some reports said that Nest Protects had difficulty connecting to combined networks.

It was not until I rolled back to 1.1.6 that the Nest Proctect was able to join Network 3 (2.4GHz only) successfully.

Options
2023-08-23 08:40:52

Hello @Cozz,

Cozz wrote

@Fae Can 100% confirm that there is no MAC filtering on any of the WiFi networks. In an effort to troubleshoot, I have split the network - Network 1 (combined 2.4/5GHz) and Network 2 (5GHz) and Network 3 (2.4GHz) as some reports said that Nest Protects had difficulty connecting to combined networks.

It was not until I rolled back to 1.1.6 that the Nest Proctect was able to join Network 3 (2.4GHz only) successfully.

Thank you for your confirmation. The issue has been reported to the developer team for investigation. I'll get back to you soon when there is an update on your case.

Options
2023-08-23 20:50:50

I have an issue with the 1.0.11 beta firmware for the EAP-670 V1(.26) that I’ve been working to track down. Under certain conditions, the EAP discards all transmit packets on the 2.4G band. 

This is an event from earlier today. There are 0 discarded packets, but suddenly discards spike on the 2.4G band and transmit packets falls to 0:

From my observations, after a few repetitions, it seems to corollate to the EAP reaching 67-69% memory utilization. I would not say the EAP was under load. There were 28 total users connected, of those 10 were using the 2.4G band. As for the 5G band, users seem to be uneffected.

A reboot hides the symptoms for a few hours, about 10 or so, in my environment at least.

Options
2023-08-24 06:27:31

Hello @jamesn__,

jamesn__ wrote

From my observations, after a few repetitions, it seems to corollate to the EAP reaching 67-69% memory utilization. I would not say the EAP was under load. There were 28 total users connected, of those 10 were using the 2.4G band. As for the 5G band, users seem to be uneffected.

Can you still recall the previous firmware of your EAP670? Are you still running with the 1.0.11 beta firmware on your EAP670?

When you find the transmit packets falls to 0, are the 10 users using the 2.4GHz still connected and getting internet connection?

Options