IPv6 DNS - Not Propogating

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-22 05:00:54
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.4

I have to have IPv6 enabled on my network to ensure that the Nest Protects work correctly, however once this is enabled, my PiHole setup is bypassed for IPv6 and adverts start getting through again.

I have gone to Settings - Wired Networks - LAN and have the following settings:

Interface Type = SLAAC+Stateless DHCP

Delegating Interface = WAN

DNS Server - Manual

Primary DNS - Pihole IPv6 address

However, on my Mac for example, the DNS settings are the Pihole's IPv4 address and my ISP's IPv6 DNS server, not the Pihole; none of the computers on the network are getting the assigned DNS, instead they are still getting the DNS server from my ISP.

Options
5 Reply
Re:IPv6 DNS - Not Propogating
2023-08-22 09:42:42

@Cozz dns is pihole ipv6 lan address?

if you use public ipv6 as dns, is there any issue?

if no, I assume its your pihole problem.

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2023-08-22 10:04:54

@Tedd404 Pihole is receving an IPv6 address and I am using that address in the LAN DHCP section to send to the network. To me, this is not a PiHole issue, but a firmware issue as the router is not sending the correct IPv6 DNS address across the network to the clients.

Options
2023-08-23 02:06:10

@Cozz 

so you've made a test with a public ipv6 and it is not working indeed. and you draw the conclusion that it's a firmware bug?

if you have not tested it with a public ipv6 DNS, that does not make sense in logic. and I believe you cannot convince the team or the mod.

based on my experience with the support, ipv6 is not fully feathered. and as for the 605, ipv6 is not on the top request list. well, local DNS for ipv4 has not been added. 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2023-08-23 02:36:46

@Tedd404 

I don't think you've read what I've written.

I put my Pihole routable IPv6 address into the settings and the router and it is NOT sent to the clients. The clients are receiving instead the PUBLIC IPv6 DNS settings as provided by my ISP.

Therefore, the router is NOT propogating the DNS setting I tell it to; instead it is IGNORING this setting and still sending the DNS settings received from my ISP.

This is not my error, this is a firmware bug and I have reported it.

Options
2023-08-25 01:23:58

Hi @Cozz

Thank you for taking the time to report the issue on TP-Link Community!

I have forwarded the issue to our engineers for further investigation.

Thanks for joining the beta test and feedback.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 411

Replies: 5

Related Articles